View Power Point Slide Show
The Doctrine of Baptisms
1. Heb. 6:1-3: Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. And this we will do if God permits.
2. Common view: It will be observed that the plural form is used here--baptisms. There are two baptisms whose necessity is taught by the Christian religion--baptism by water, and by the Holy Ghost: the first of which is an emblem of the second. (Barnes Notes, Hebrews, 126)
3. BUT: Acts 8:12-17 Water baptism was before they received H.S.!
4. Study the Bible doctrine of baptisms.
I. BIBLE BAPTISMS.
Baptism into Moses 1 Cor. 10:2
Baptism of John Acts 1:5; 19:3-4
Baptism of the Holy Spirit Matt. 3:11
Baptism of fire Matt. 3:11
Baptism of suffering Matt. 20:22-23
Baptism for the dead 1 Cor. 15:29
Baptism in the name of the Lord Jesus Acts 19:5
-- there is one baptism Eph. 4:5. Which one shall we choose?
Two is ONE too many!
None is ONE too few!
ONE is just right! WHICH ONE?
II. ONE BAPTISM: WATER OR THE HOLY SPIRIT? (Eph. 4:5)
One that is for all people Matt. 28:19
One that follows faith in Christ Mk. 16:15-16; Acts 8:36-38
One that saves the lost 1 Pet. 3:21; Acts 2:38; 22:16
One that is in the name of the Lord Jesus Acts 10:48
One that brings the sinner into contact with the death of Christ Rom. 6:3-4
One by which we put on Christ Gal. 3:27
One by which we are buried with Christ Col. 2:12; Rom. 6:4
One that continues until the return of Christ Matt. 28:19-20
-- Water Baptism! Acts 10:47-48
III. HOLY SPIRIT BAPTISM vs. GREAT COMMISSION BAPTISM.
1. HS: By Christ Matt. 3:11; Mk. 1:7-8; Lk. 3:16; Jno. 1:33; Acts 2:32-33
2. GC: By men Matt. 28:18-20; Mk. 16:15-16; Acts 8:36-38
B. Promise or Command?
1. HS: Promise to apostles Jno. 16:12-14; Lk. 24:48-49; Acts 1:1-5, 8
2. GC: Command to all who believe Mk. 16:15-16; Acts 2:38-39; 8:36-38
C. Received or Obeyed?
1. HS: Promise to be received Lk. 24:49; Acts 1:4-5, 8
2. GC: Command to be obeyed Acts 10:48; Rom. 6:17-18
D. Accompanied By:
1. HS: Miraculous powers Acts 2:1-4; 10:44-46
2. GC: Not accompanied by miraculous signs Acts 8:12-17
1. HS: Revelation (Jno. 14:26; 16:13) & confirmation (Acts 11:15-18; 15:6-9)
2. GC: For salvation Mk. 16:15-16; Acts 2:38; 22:16; 1 Pet. 3:21
1. HS: Ceased in first century Eph. 4:5
2. GC: Continues until Christ returns Matt. 28:18-20
1. Christ calls you to believe & be baptized to be saved Mk. 16:16.
2. Do not refuse Him who speaks! (Heb. 12:25)