Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: 1 Peter 5:1-11
The Devil Doesn't Want It!
1. Matt. 16:21-23 – Jesus rebuked Peter because his mind was on the wrong things (things of men, not God). Really, the things of Satan!
2. Prov. 23:7 – We are what we think. So, are we thinking on the things of God, or men? That is, are we purposing & pursuing the things that obey, honor & glorify God, of those things that satisfy & comfort the desires & will of men?
I. THE DEVIL DOESN'T WANT THIS CHURCH TO HAVE ELDERS – 1 Pet. 5:1-4.
A. God Does – Acts 14:23; Tit. 1:5.
B. The Devil Doesn’t Want this Church to Have:
1. Scriptural organization & its blessings – Eph. 4:11-16.
-Equipping us to serve & build up the church in love (4:12, 16) in order to achieve spiritual maturity by means of the truth (4:13-15).
2. Shepherds – 1 Pet. 5:1-2.
a. Serving as overseers: To feed (Acts 20:28); protect (Heb. 13:17; Tit. 1:9-11); to serve (1 Pet. 5:2-3); to be examples (1 Pet. 5:3).
C. The Devil Tempts us to “Mind the Things of Men” (tries to convince us that elders are a bad thing):
1. The church is doing fine without elders. Lack of faith in God’s way being best; shortsighted & fails to see the blessing of following God’s will.
2. Selecting & having elders will only cause problems.
a. Problems for whom?
b. Yes, it should be a problem for sin, error & spiritual weakness as elders help us learn, overcome &/or resist all these things!
c. Some may have false impression that having elders solves every problem…not a panacea! Will still be trials & trouble, but godly leadership helps deal with & minimize it.
3. “I hate to lose my place of honor in the business meeting.”
a. Problem of pride & preeminence! (Heb. 13:17; 3 Jno. 9)
b. Displays an unwillingness to submit to elders’ rule!
4. Opposition without scriptural objection.
a. Offering opinions with which to oppose an appointment is wrong! – Col. 2:8 (cheat, spoil, prey on you)
b. Titus 1:5 – the standard is the Lord’s command…it’s His church!
II. THE DEVIL DOESN'T WANT THIS CHURCH TO HAVE UNITY & PEACE – 1 Pet. 5:5-7.
A. God Does – Psa. 133:1 (Prov. 6:19); Jno. 17:20-21; 1 Cor. 1:10; Eph. 4:3.
B. The Devil Doesn’t Want this Church to:
1. Respectfully submit to one another – 1 Pet. 5:5.
a. Submit (to arrange under, subordinate, submit).
1) Age (younger to older) – 1 Tim. 5:1-2 (cf. Job 32:4, 7).
2) All (relation as brethren) – Eph. 5:21.
1) Place a greater value on others than myself – Phil. 2:3.
2) Clothe ourselves with humility to serve each other – 1 Pet. 5:5.
“…by putting on humility, show your subjection one to another. Also, this refers to the overalls which slaves wore to keep clean while working, an exceedingly humble garment.” (Online Bible Greek Lexicon)
3) Trust in the Lord – 1 Pet. 5:6.
1) Fear of God – Eph. 5:21.
2) Love one another – Jno. 13:34-35; 1 Jno. 4:20-21.
3) God resists the proud & favors the humble – 1 Pet. 5:6.
2. Diligently guard our unity in Christ – Eph. 4:1-3.
III. THE DEVIL DOESN'T WANT THIS CHURCH TO HAVE WORKERS FOR CHRIST – 1 Pet. 5:8-11.
A. God Does – Eph. 2:10; Gal. 6:10.
B. The Devil Doesn’t Want this Church to be:
1. Steadfastly resist him in the faith – 1 Pet. 5:8-9.
-If we are not sober & vigilant he will devour our souls & we will not be working for Christ!
2. Teaching the lost – 1 Ths. 1:8 (Mk. 16:15) (God’s call to glory, 5:10).
3. Teaching the saved – 2 Tim. 2:2 (Matt. 28:20).
C. Workers of Christ Will Persevere (patiently endure) – 1 Pet. 5:9-11.
1. Keep standing in the faith (gospel) – 5:9 (Jude 3).
2. Know that he shares with others in suffering for righteousness (Matt. 5:10-12).
3. Keep hope & remain firm – 5:10.
4. Will honor God & live under His rule (dominion) – 5:11.
1. The devil doesn’t want this church to have elders, unity or workers…do you?
2. What are you doing to help see that it does?
a. Pray & work (Matt. 9:37-38).
b. Sober vigilance in personal life (1 Pet. 5:8).
c. Humble submission to each other to serve Christ by serving each other.