Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Romans 8:35-39
Demons: Agents of Satan
1. Ageless interest in demons/demonic activities (Devil’s Museum in Kaunas, Lithuania.).
2. Cults, heavy metal rock music, Satanic rituals, etc. Also, countless people in world believe in demon possession & other direct powers of demons in the lives of men today.
3. Bible reveals information we need to understand this subject and properly respond to it as we teach the truth to others.
I. WHAT ARE DEMONS?
A. They are Spirit Beings, Matt. 8:16; Lk. 10:17, 20.
-They are not physical diseases or mental illnesses, but they did use such ailments to afflict men & women.
B. Their Character:
1. They are immoral:
a. Evil / unclean, Matt. 12:43-45 (Acts 19:15).
b. Agents of Satan, Matt. 25:41 (2 Pet. 2:4).
2. They are faithless, Jas. 2:19. Know the power/position of Christ (Mk. 1:23-24, 34)
C. The Objective of their Activity is the Harm, Demise and Eternal Destruction of Mankind.
1. Oppose God & oppress man, Acts 10:38 (Mk. 1:25-27). When they were directly active on the earth they tormented their victims mentally, physically, morally & spiritually, Lk. 8:27.
2. Oppose the faith (the truth, good doctrine), 1 Tim. 4:1, 6.
II. WHAT ABOUT DEMON POSSESSION?
A. Defined: “A condition in which a distinct and evil personality, foreign to the person possessed, has taken control of an individual” (Hendriksen, Matthew, 437).
-Bodily possession / takeover & control, Mk. 9:17-18, 20-22, 25-29.
B. Clearly, Jesus Admitted to its Occurring in His Day, Mk. 1:24-27; Matt. 12:43-45.
C. Modern Explanations of Biblical Accounts of Possession Fail to Respect the Bible.
1. “Superstition attributed illness to demons.” Bible distinguishes between diseases caused by demons & diseases not so caused (Matt. 12:22 vs. Lk. 4:40-41; 9:1; Acts 19:12).
2. “Simply another name for multiple personalities” (Jekyll / Hyde).
a. Demons are spirit beings that were able to depart human & enter swine (Mk. 5:12-13).
b. Demons always presented as evil & the enemies of God & man.
c. They were not driven out by psychological treatments (applied over long or short periods), but by the miraculous word & power of Christ -- Instantly (Matt. 8:16).
III. DEMONIC ACTIVITY TODAY.
A. Demon Possession Does Not Happen Today – It has Ended.
1. Its end prophesied, Zech. 13:1-2. When sin cleansed, unclean spirits would pass away (Christ, NT).
2. Satan is bound, Matt. 12:28-29; 1 Jno. 3:8. Christ bound (restrained, defeated) Satan by overcoming sin & death, and by ending the reign of terror of bodily possession. cf. Mk. 1:23-24
3. Christ’s power is superior to the demons:
a. Demonstrated while He was on earth, Lk. 11:14, 20-22.
b. Sustained now that He is in heaven, Matt. 28:18.
c. God is greater that the devil & demons, 1 Jno. 4:4.
B. Demons Still Exist as Active Enemies of Christians, Eph. 6:12.
1. Principalities and powers - “Government, rule, is used of supramundane beings who exercise rule” (Vine, III:213).
2. HOW? Demons seek our eternal death by joining in with our temptation to sin & follow error (Jas. 1:14; Matt. 25:41).
a. By the influence of sin & darkness, they seek to “possess” our hearts & lives with evil & error – We agree to this “possession” of our hearts & lives by choosing to sin.
b. Through trials of faith they try to separate us from the love of God in Christ, Rom. 8:37-39.
c. They struggle against us; we are in a great conflict (war) with the forces of evil, Eph. 6:12; 2 Cor. 10:3-5.
d. Our victory against spiritual host of wickedness is certain in Christ, Eph. 6:10-17 (we will stand with the armor of God).
1. Demons will be eternally punished, Matt. 8:29; 25:41.
2. We should not think that we have no reason to be concerned about demons today: we do. Although they do not bodily possess men, they are active in Satan's efforts to tempt us to sin against God and His truth so that we will be lost.