Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Luke 2:8-16
The Day Jesus was Born
1. Asked to teach a lesson on birth of Jesus.
2. Men presumptuously establish holy days (religious festivals) that God has not commanded (Psa. 19:13; Matt. 15:7-9; 28:18; Col. 3:17); Christmas is one such presumption.
3. The Bible doesn’t give the date of Jesus’ birth:
a. Days of Herod the Great (37-4 BC) & Caesar Augustus (27 BC-14 AD), Matt. 2:1; Lk. 2:1. (perhaps 5-4 BC).
b. Text discourages wintertime, Lk. 2:8 (SS 2:11, cold & rainy).
c. “But the exact time of his birth is unknown; there is no way to ascertain it. By different learned men it has been fixed at each month in the year. Nor is it of consequence to know the time; if it were, God would have preserved the record of it. Matters of moment are clearly revealed; those which he regards as of no importance are concealed…” (Albert Barnes on Luke 2:8)
d. God could have told us if He had wanted us to know. (Deut. 29:29)
4. No Bible approval for celebration of Christ’s birth (resurr., etc.).
5. Celebration of Christ’s birth is based on human authority.
6. Day of Jesus’ birth a unique day in history.
I. AN OBSCURE DAY (hardly noticeable).
A. His Entrance into the World was Humble & Lowly, Lk. 2:4-7, 12, 16.
1. King lying in a manger (meek & lowly in heart, Matt. 11:29).
2. Certainly not the trappings of earthly kings (Isa. 53:2).
3. A Nazarene (His lowly estate; despised, rejected), Matt. 2:23.
B. We Must Seek Jesus Like Others Did.
1. Shepherds, Lk. 2:15-16 (cf. Acts 17:27; Matt. 7:7).
2. Wise men, Matt. 2:1-2, 11 (to worship Him).
C. We must be Humble like Jesus, 1 Pet. 5:5-7.
II. A MIRACULOUS DAY (virgin birth), Lk. 1:31, 34-35, 37-38.
A. Conception, Matt. 1:18, 20-23 (Isa. 7:14) – God-given sign.
B. Bethlehem (fulfilled prophecy), Matt. 2:4-6 (Micah 5:2).
C. God became Flesh, Isa. 9:6-7 (Jno. 1:14; Heb. 2:14).
1. The “Mighty God” (Isa. 9:6) left heaven’s glory & took on Himself flesh (human identity, “nature or essence” of man), Phil. 2:5-8.
2. A body prepared for Son of God to die for sins of man, Heb. 10:5.
III. A DAY SALVATION WAS BROUGHT DOWN, Matt. 1:21.
A. The Unfolding of God’s Plan to Save Sinners, Gal. 4:4-5.
1. Mary (Lk. 1:54-55) & Zacharias (Lk. 1:67-75) saw this birth as God sending salvation to the people of God.
2. Angelic announcement, Lk. 2:8-10.
3. When Simeon saw child he saw the Lord’s salvation, Lk. 2:28-32.
B. It was a Day of Worship.
1. The angels, Lk. 2:13-14.
2. The shepherds, Lk. 2:20.
3. The wise men when they (eventually) arrived, Matt. 2:11.
4. Our worship of “a Savior, who is Christ the Lord” should turn heavenward every day! (Lk. 2:11)
C. It was a Day to Tell Others of Christ, Lk. 2:17-18.
1. Shepherds heard good news, 2:10-11.
2. Given a sign to consider & saw angelic chorus, 2:12-14.
3. Considered the evidence, 2:15.
4. Told others what the Lord made known to them, 2:17.
5. We must do the same. (Matt. 28:19)
1. The child in the manger is now King of heaven & earth, Rev. 12:1-5 (Matt. 28:18).
2. His judgments are righteous & we must humbly obey them, or He will bring fierce judgment against us, 12:5.
3. We overcome through His blood; therefore, we rejoice, 12:10-12.