Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Mark 15:27-32
Revealed at the Cross
1. The Son of Man was lifted up to draw sinners to Himself, Jno 3:14-15; 12:32-33.
2. Yet, it was at the cross that sinners and revilers mocked Him to come down in order that they might believe in Him! Mk 15:30-32
3. The cross reveals to us magnificent truth – gospel truth – that is for our salvation. It is our glory, Gal 6:14.
I. THE CROSS REVEALS OUR SINS.
A. That Christ Died for All Means All Are Dead in Sin, 2 Cor 5:14-15 (Rom 3:23; 6:23).
1. Jesus came to save sinners, 1 Tim 1:15.
2. He died as a ransom for all sinners, 1 Tim 2:6.
3. We come face to face with our sin at the cross! 2 Cor 5:21
a. The just suffered for the unjust, 1 Pet 3:18.
b. He bore my sins in His body on the tree and healed me by His stripes, 1 Pet 2:24 (Isa 53:5).
B. The Redeemed Live for Him, 2 Cor 5:15; Gal 2:20 (Rom 12:1).
-APPL. Christians know the depth of our sins and the great price paid to redeem us; compels us to please Him in all things (2 Cor 5:9).
II. THE CROSS REVEALS GOD’S LOVE, 2 Cor 5:18-20; Rom 5:8 (Jno 3:16).
A. Love takes the Initiative, Jno 3:16 – God acted.
B. Love is Committed, not Complacent, Jno 3:16 (“so loved”).
C. Love is Sacrificial, not Selfish, Jno 3:16 (“gave”); 1 Jno 4:10.
-APPL. We also ought to love one another, 1 Jno 4:11.
III. THE CROSS REVEALS GOD’S APPEAL TO SINNERS.
A. We Preach Christ Crucified, 1 Cor 1:18, 23; 2:2.
1. Preach the weakness of men and the power of God (1:18; 2:3-5).
2. Preach about sin and salvation; hell and heaven.
3. Preach His church as well as His cross (Acts 8:12; 2:47; Eph 5:23).
4. Preach grace and obedience, Heb 2:9; 5:8-9.
B. The Gospel is God’s Call to Sinners to Come, Jno 12:32; Acts 2:39-41.
-APPL. Refusal to listen to the gospel is a rejection of God! (Heb 12:25)
IV. THE CROSS REVEALS THE PERFECTION OF JESUS.
A. Perfect (sinless) Life and Character, 1 Pet 2:21-24 (3:18).
B. Perfect Sacrifice, Heb 2:9-10; 5:8-9.
C. Perfect Priest, Heb 7:28.
D. Perfect Savior, 2 Tim 1:9-10.
-APPL. Disciples train to be like their Teacher. Heb 2:11; 10:14 (1 Ths 4:3; Lk 6:40)
V. THE CROSS REVEALS THE END OF THE LAW, Rom 10:4-5.
A. The Law Could not (never can) Make Sinners Perfect, Heb 7:19; 9:9.
1. The law was “holy and just and good”, Rom 7:12.
2. But, (the) law could not/cannot save sinners, Gal 3:10-13.
a. Knowledge of sin, Rom 3:19-20.
b. Schoolmaster to bring sinners to Christ, Gal 3:22-25.
3. Christ has redeemed sinners from the curse of law by His death on the tree, Gal 3:13-14.
a. Sinless Savior sacrificed Himself for sinners at the cross and overcame sin, Col 2:13-15. (Old law nailed to the cross)
b. His offering perfects sinners, Heb 10:12-14.
B. To Turn to the Law of Moses for Salvation is to:
1. Trust the shadow rather than the substance (Heb 10:1, 9-10).
2. Be a slave and trust the tutor rather than be a son and trust the Father (Gal 3:24; 4:1-7).
3. Be at enmity with God rather have peace in Christ (Eph 2:14-18).
-APPL. The law is for our learning; the gospel is for living in salvation. (Rom 15:4; 2 Tim 3:14-15)
VI. THE CROSS REVEALS INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY, Matt 16:24-25.
A. Bear Our Cross and Follow Jesus, cf. Gal 2:20.
1. No longer live for ourselves–new creatures in Christ, 2 Cor 5:15-17.
2. The great joy and glory of heaven is on the horizon, 2 Tim 4:7-8.
-APPL. Without the cross there is no crown. (Rev 3:21)
1. The cross reveals the truth about God, about Jesus Christ, about sinners, about salvation, about service and about victory in heaven.
2. What does the cross reveal in you?
a. A heart that is willing to yield in full faith and complete obedience to the One who died for you? (Centurion, Matt 27:54)
b. Or a calloused heart of unbelief? (Mocking crowd, Matt 27:39-44)
(Adapted from article, “Revelations of the Cross”, by Jack Critchfield)