Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 2 Samuel 24:21-25
What Does It Cost You?
1. We appreciate that which costs us something. We put tangible value on physical things, and express that value by the care and attention we give it. (cf. House, truck, golf clubs, firearms, etc.).
2. Davidís purchase of Araunahís threshing floor and animals for a sacrifice, 2 Sam. 24:14-25.
3. We possess many blessings that cost us nothing. The question for us: Do we appreciate them? Do we show our respect, appreciation and thankfulness, or, do we take for granted our many blessings and advantages (because they cost us nothing)?
I. YOUR LIFE DID NOT COST YOU ANYTHING.
A. It Cost Your Parents, cf. Gen. 3:16-19. 2015: ~$233,610, which is $12,350- $14,000/year (money.cnn.com).
1. Time and energy: Your constant care, cf. Ezek. 16:4-6.
2. Instruction, discipline, guidance, Eph. 6:4; Heb. 12:9-11.
a. Cost them their comfort and convenience; Gladly paid.
b. They deserve your respect, Eph. 6:1-3.
c. Shown by keeping their commands, Prov. 6:20-24.
B. It Cost Your Neighbors (cf. taxes pay for education, safety, services, etc.), cf. Rom. 13:1, 7.
C. Life is a Great Gift from God, Gen. 2:7; Eccl. 12:7.
-Provisions, Deut. 30:19-20; Matt. 6:11, 30-32.
II. YOUR SALVATION WAS GIVEN TO YOU FREELY, Psa. 68:19-20; Isa. 55:1-2; Eph. 2:8-9.
A. Your Salvation Did Not Cost Your Life.
1. It cost the life of the Son of God, Gal. 1:4; Rom. 5:8; Heb. 2:9-10.
2. Free expression of Godís grace, Rom. 3:24.
3. Spiritual blessings freely given, Rom. 8:32.
B. Your Salvation Costs Your Faith and Obedience, Eph. 2:8-9; Jno. 8:23-24; Heb. 5:9.
1. Faith compels us to respect, honor and obey Christ Jesus, the Lord, cf. Matt. 8:18-22.
2. Jesus measures our respect by active, obedient faith, Lk. 6:46; Jas. 2:17-18.
III. YOUR DISCIPLESHIP WILL COST YOU EVERYTHING, Lk. 9:23.
A. Living in Christ Will Cost You Everything, Lk. 14:33, 25-32.
1. Costs your selfishness, Gal. 2:20.
2. Costs your mind and body, Rom. 12:1-2; cf. 1 Cor. 6:19-20.
3. Costs your priorities, Matt. 6:33 (comfort, 8:20; convenience, 2 Cor. 11:27, friendships, 1 Cor. 15:33-34, family, Matt. 10:37).
4. May cost your earthly advancement, Phil. 3:7-8.
B. Worshiping God in Spirit and Truth Will Cost You, Jno. 4:23-24.
1. Costs your time and energy, Acts 2:42.
2. Costs your convenience and at times, your comfort, Acts 20:7.
3. Costs you financially, (2 Sam. 24:22-25), 1 Cor. 16:2; 2 Cor. 8:3-5.
C. The Sacrificial Price of Faith, Heb. 11:6, 1.
1. Noah, Heb. 11:7 (cf. plans for your life).
2. Abraham, Heb. 11:8-10, 17-19 (unknown regions).
3. Mosesí parents, Heb. 11:23 (feared God more than man).
4. Moses, Heb. 11:24-27 (riches and honor among men).
1. A faith that does not abound in thankfulness, is a faith that is not yet rooted and grounded (established and growing), Col. 2:6-7.
2. God (Jesus) gave us what cost Him everything, 1 Jno. 4:9.
3. May we never give God what cost us nothing. Let us always give God the honor and respect of our sacrificial devotion.
4. And, may we always be thankful toward those who paid the price for us to be where we are, and who we are, in life Ė and in eternity.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: October 3, 2017