Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Jude 1-5
Contend Earnestly for the Faith
1. There is a trend away from controversy among us.
2. Unwillingness on part of more & more churches, elders & preachers to speak out against materialism, gambling, social drinking, immodest dress, dancing, MDR.... A common softness is growing!
3. Jude 3: Contend (epagonizomai): “signifies to contend about a thing, as a combatant (epi, upon or about, intensive, agon, a contest)...The word ‘earnestly’ is added to convey the intensive force of the preposition” (Vine, I:233); “To struggle for.” 1 Tim. 6:12 (Fight: contest…Jude 3: Aggressively contest)
4. Things we must have in order to earnestly contend for the faith.
I. WE MUST HAVE A GOOD UNDERSTANDING…
A. Of our Salvation, Jude 3.
1. Salvation tied to our teaching, 1 Tim. 4:16; 2 Jno. 9-11.
2. Full appreciation of salvation & truth motivates contending for the faith!
B. Of the Truth, Jude 3, 5 (the faith, Gal. 1:11, 23; Rom. 1:16-17).
1. Cannot & will not struggle for something you don’t know or with which you are unfamiliar!
2. Avoids misuse of gospel to our own destruction, 2 Pet. 3:16-17.
a. Handle aright, 2 Tim. 2:15.
b. Holding to faithful word, Titus 1:9.
C. Of the Subtle Nature of Error, Jude 4.
1. More dangerous than seems evident; Crafty & treacherous! (1 Pet. 5:8)
a. Unnoticed, cf. Matt. 7:15-16; 2 Cor. 2:17 (Corrupting “hucksters,” suspected of corrupting by putting the best fruit on top of the basket -- hides the reality!)
b. Beguiles hearts, Rom. 16:17-18.
c. Corrupts minds, 2 Cor. 11:3-4.
d. Brings into bondage, Gal. 2:4-5.
e. Spreads / Permeates / Penetrates, Gal. 5:9.
2. Jesus warned against it, Matt. 16:5-12.
II. WE MUST HAVE DISCERNMENT (SPIRITUAL UNDERSTANDING), Phil. 1:9-11; Col. 1:9-11.
A. To Know When to Fight & When to Compromise, 2 Cor. 11:4; 2 Tim. 2:14-19.
1. When truth is at stake / Souls are in jeopardy - Earnestly contend! cf. Acts 15:1-2 (Gal. 2:5); Gal. 2:11-14
2. Some press moral indifferences to point of causing stumbling &/or division, Rom. 14:13-15.
a. Don’t “look down on” nor “condemn” in areas of liberty, 14:3.
b. Give up your liberty rather than destroy a soul, 1 Cor. 8:13.
3. Contend for the faith, not for opinions!
B. To Use Zeal & Perseverance in Contending, not for Self-Vindication.
1. Zeal for God drove Jesus (not driven by ego, self, malice, etc.!), Jno. 2:14-17.
2. Perseverance essential, 2 Tim. 4:2-5.
III. LOVE FOR:
A. God & Christ, Matt. 10:34-38; 22:37 (Or, you will leave your first love, Rev. 2:4).
B. Truth, Psa. 119:124-128 (Or, compromise follows).
C. Souls, Rom. 10:1-3; Gal. 2:11 (Or, souls will flounder in darkness & be lost!).
D. The Church, 1 Tim. 3:15 (Or, it ceases to support & be built upon truth!).
1. Jude 3: Christians are called to combat on behalf of the faith. We must not be silent. We must not compromise.
2. How ready are you to struggle against sin and error?
3. The battle is already joined. On which side will you contend?