Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 1 Thessalonians 5:1-6
The Coming of the Son of Man
1. The Coming of the Son of Man:
a. Predicted by Jesus:
1) In His kingdom during their lifetime, Matt. 16:28.
2) In judgment on Jerusalem and universally, Matt. 24:27-31, 39, 42-44; 25:13; 25:31. (Redemption and punishment, Matt. 25:46)
3) With heavenly power, Matt. 26:64.
b. Predicted by angels, Acts 1:9-11.
c. Predicted by apostles:
1) Paul, 1 Ths. 1:10; 2:19; 3:12-13; 4:13-18; 5:23; 2 Ths. 2:1-3.
2) Peter, 1 Pet. 1:7, 13; 5:4.
3) John, Rev. 1:7; 14:14-16; 22:20 (retribution and redemption).
2. All of these references speak of the coming of the Son of Man, but one can hardly conclude they all speak of the same event (whether past or future).
3. Context determines the particular coming under discussion.
4. Principles applied in common that continue to be relevant as we await His future coming.
I. THE SON OF MAN COMING IN HIS KINGDOM, Matt. 16:28; Mk. 9:1. (Matt. 6:10; Jno. 18:36)
A. Christ Established His Kingdom (the Church), Matt. 16:18-19.
1. He was present with power on Pentecost, Acts 1:8; 2:1-4, 41, 47. (Col. 1:13)
2. Son of Man came to redeem the lost; He is now powerfully reigning over His kingdom (the redeemed – the church).
II. THE SON OF MAN COMING IN JUDGMENT.
A. In Judgment against Jerusalem, Matt. 24:1-3, 27-31.
1. That generation, Matt. 23:36; 24:34.
2. Her only redemption would be the Savior, Matt. 23:38-39 (Lk. 21:25-28).
B. In Judgment against Rome, Rev. 1:7; 14:14-16; 22:20.
C. In Judgment of the Whole World, Matt. 25:31; 2 Ths. 1:7-9.
-Eternal punishment or eternal life, Matt. 25:46.
1. He will come as He left earth, Acts 1:11. Jesus will come personally, visibly and audibly, 1 Ths. 4:16-18.
2. He will come in His glory, Matt. 25:31.
3. He will raise the dead, judge mankind and destroy the material world, Acts 17:30-31; 2 Pet. 3:10-13.
III. PRINCIPLES APPLIED TO THE COMING OF THE SON OF MAN.
A. Be Prepared: Watchfulness, Lk. 12:35-40 (Matt. 25:1-13: Be ready for His coming).
1. What form does this watchfulness take? 1 Ths. 5:1-11
2. Moral purity, sober service and valiant faith, cf. Matt. 24:44-47.
3. Become a Christian and then, be true to Christ.
B. Be Careful: Faithfulness, Lk. 12:41-46.
C. Be Responsible: An Obedient Servant of Christ, Lk. 12:47-48 (2 Tim. 2:15).
-Knowledgeable and obedient
1. We do not know when the future, final coming of the Son of Man will be, but we know He is coming, Matt. 24:44; Acts 1:11.
a. Because He said He will come.
b. Because His angels and apostles announced that He will come.
c. Because we trust His word that it will be so.
2. Are you ready for the coming of the Son of Man? 1 Ths. 5:1-3
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: May 9, 2014