Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Hosea 1:2-10
The Collapse of Israel is Our Warning
1. Hosea 7: Israel’s sin has doomed her to destruction (Hos. 8:7).
2. A stunning example of departure from God, He attempt to restore them (via the prophets: Isaiah, Micah, Hosea, Amos) and their ultimate collapse as they refused God in their lives. (1 Cor. 10:11)
3. The kingdom of Christ (the church) is in equal peril of collapse whenever it refuses God. (cf. Rom. 11:20-21)
4. Learn from Israel: Be faithful and strong in faith, or fall.
I. MORAL COLLAPSE: THE ABSENCE OF CONSCIENCE TOWARD GOD AND MAN, Hosea 7:1-7.
Sin became rampant, Hos. 1:2; 7:1, 4-7; 4:1-3 (Isa. 1:4).
Israel’s heart was hardened against her sin, Hos. 7:2-3; Amos 5:12-13. (Judgment was certain, Hos. 9:7; 10:4)
Israel lost her conscience toward God and man, 7:2.
Christians are Losing Reverence For God and respect for Men. Acts 24:16; 1 Tim. 1:5; 4:2; Titus 1:15
1. When the works of the flesh is the Christians regular source of recreation and entertainment. Gal. 5:19-21; 1 Jno. 2:15
2. When Christians dress immodestly and think nothing of it; even defended. 1 Tim. 2:9
3. When adulterous remarriages are defended and defenders of truth are ridiculed, rejected and refused. Matt. 19:9; 1 Cor. 7:10-11
4. When Christians are filled with pride, selfishness, anger, hatred, factiousness...? Jas. 3:14-16; 4:1-3
II. RELIGIOUS COLLAPSE: THE PRESENCE OF COMPROMISE, Hosea 7:8-12.
Israel was to be a separate nation, Exo. 19:5-6.
Israel was to conquer and destroy...Have no covenants and marriage with the people of Canaan (Deut. 7:1-6). But...
-Idolatry, Hos. 4:11-13, 17. (Corrupt worship)
-Form of godliness without its power, cf. Hos. 6:4-6 (9).
-Alliances with worldly powers and human wisdom was hopeless, Hos. 7:11 (5:13, 11); cf. 13:9-11.
-False prophets, Hos. 9:7-9.
Compromise is Present among Christians. 2 Cor. 6:14-7:1
1. Unity in diversity (moral/doctrinal: mdr, fellowship, Rom. 14).
2. False teachers are afforded honor while teachers of the truth are scorned as “watchdogs”, fanatics, radicals, extremists, etc.
3. No compromise with sin in any form, 1 Jno. 4:1; Rev. 2:2; Jude 3; 2 Jno. 10-11; Gal. 2:4-5.
III. SPIRITUAL COLLAPSE: THE PRESENCE OF COMPLACENCY, Hosea 7:13-16.
Israel was complacent about her past redemption, Hos. 7:13; Micah 6:3-5.
Israel was complacent about God’s present help, Hos. 7:14.
Israel was complacent about her blessings from God, Amos 6:1, 3-7.
Complacency is Still a Plague that Consumes God’s People. Rom. 12:11
1. When Christians are no longer eager to join in the work of the gospel. Acts 2:42
2. When Christians are lethargic about being at worship services. Heb. 10:25
3. When Christians will not read their Bibles. Rom. 10:14
4. When Christians will to try to teach the lost. Acts 8:4
5. When Christians are ashamed to live righteously. Tit. 2:11-12
1. Israel’s only hope was to turn to the Lord in genuine conversion, Hosea 6:1-3 (1:10; 14:1-4).
a. 6:1: Repent of sins (Acts 2:38; 8:22).
b. 6:2: You will be forgiven, (Jas. 5:15).
c. 6:3: Learn of God and know God, Matt. 11:28-30.
2. Will we accept God’s warning and truly be His own separate people?
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: January 9, 2014