FILLED WITH A KNOWLEDGE OF GOD'S WILL
1. Knowledge, when it stands alone or is unduly elevated, has the potential to cause arrogance & aloofness - 1 Cor. 8:1.
2. Col. 1:9-12 - When knowledge is coupled with "all wisdom and spiritual understanding" it enables the Christian to bear commendable fruit.
a. All wisdom - Heavenly, from above - cf. Jas. 3:13, 17; Prov. 9:10.
b. All spiritual understanding - Discernment, perception - Phil. 1:9-11.
3. God has made His will known to us as a part of His grace! - Eph. 1:7-9
4. By knowing God's will we avoid spiritual destruction - Hos. 4:6.
5. You are also equipped to accomplish great spiritual work in your life when you are filled with a knowledge of God's will!
I. TO WALK WORTHY OF THE LORD, FULLY PLEASING HIM - 1:10.
A. Our Life Will Please God Because It Is Defined & Directed By An Accurate Knowledge Of His Will - cf. 1 Ths. 4:1-3.
1. Acceptable - Rom. 12:1-2.
2. Approved - 2 Tim. 2:15.
3. Complete - Heb. 13:20-21.
II. TO BE FRUITFUL IN EVERY GOOD WORK - v. 10.
A. We Are His Workmanship, Created For Good Works - Eph. 2:10; cf. 2 Tim. 3:16-17. -By knowing God's will we can pursue proper "good works" (Matt. 7:21-23).
B. The Good Works Ordained By God:
1. Are influential - Matt. 5:16 (1 Pet. 2:12).
2. Are carefully followed by Christians - Titus 3:8.
3. Are the Christian's zeal - Titus 2:14.
4. Are mutually encouraged among us - Heb. 10:24.
5. Place the Christian above reproach - 1 Tim. 5:25.
-By knowing His will we are able to "walk" in them!
III. TO INCREASE IN THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD - v. 10.
A. Knowledge Of God Is The Foundation Of Our Spiritual Strength, Stability, Growth & Salvation. (1 Tim. 2:3-4)
1. Eph. 1:15-19 - Strength & perception possible by a "knowledge of Him" (v. 17).
2. Eph. 4:13-16 - Stability, growth & maturity via "knowledge of the Son of God" (v. 13). (Rom. 15:14 - Equips us to admonish one another.)
3. Phil. 3:7-11 - Knowledge of Christ is superior & brings eternal blessings.
IV. STRENGTHENED BY THE POWER OF GOD - v. 11.
A. "With All Might" ( "According to His glorious power" - 2 Tim. 1:12; Rom. 8:31-32).
-Because you know God & that His purposes never fail, you have power to endure & excel!
B. With All Patience & Longsuffering - Jas. 1:2-4, 12.
-Because you know the relationship between trials, patience, strengthening & eternal victory, you accept the present trials of faith!
C. With Complete Joy - Phil. 4:4-7.
-Because you know the power of prayer & the peace of God, you have joy!
V. TO BE THANKFUL TO GOD - v. 11.
A. Because He Saves Us!
1. God has equipped us to partake in the inheritance of light.
2. Without a knowledge of God's will the inheritance would not (will not) be obtained! - cf. Acts 20:32
B. Our Giving Of Thanks Is Rooted In Understanding (Knowledge of) Our Salvation! (cf. 1:13-14)
1. You have every reason to be "filled with the knowledge of His will:"
-Your life will be worthy of the Lord
-You will please Him
-You will be fruitful in every good work
-You will increase in knowing God
-You will be strengthened with the power of God
-You will live a thankful life
2. Grow in the knowledge of our Lord & Savior Jesus Christ! - 2 Pet. 3:18