Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Matthew 16:13-19
The Church of Christ
1. Matt. 16:13-19: Jesus would build his church on the truth that he is the Christ, the Son of the living God (v. 16).
a. It was built just as Jesus said it would be (Acts 2).
b. It will continue to exist as long as the gospel saves souls (Acts 2:47).
2. “Church of Christ” is too often viewed as “just another denomination.”
3. The church that God planned & that Jesus Christ built exists today.
4. You can become a member of the church that Christ built, not man.
I. WHAT IS THE CHURCH OF CHRIST?
A. The Church of Christ Is Not…
1. A denomination of believers (Jno. 17:20-21; 1 Cor. 1:10); Eph. 4:4.
2. An ecclesiastical hierarchy (ruling authority, clergy, etc.)
3. An afterthought of God (central to God’s eternal plan of human redemption), Eph. 3:10-11.
B. The Church of Christ Is…
1. The called out ones (ekklesia: ek, out of; kaleo, to call).
a. Congregation of Israel (Acts 7:38).
b. Riotous assembly, (Acts 19:32, 41).
c. Governing body in Ephesus, (Acts 19:39).
2. Christ’s assembly of the saved (Acts 2:47; Heb. 12:23):
a. Called by the gospel to salvation, Mk. 16:15; Acts 2:39-41 (2 Ths. 2:13-14).
b. Called out of sin & darkness, 1 Pet. 2:9-10.
c. Called to holiness, to fellowship with Christ & into the kingdom, 1 Cor. 1:2, 9; 1 Ths. 4:7; 2:12.
3. Subject to (the authority of) Christ in everything, Eph. 5:24.
II. WHOSE CHURCH IS IT, ANYWAY?
A. “Church of Christ” Denotes Possession (Ownership), Matt. 16:18 (Rom. 16:16; 1 Cor. 1:2; Heb. 12:23).
1. Denominations belong to men, founded by men upon the doctrines of men (RCC perversions, Protestant “reformations” etc. Col. 2:8, 20-23)
2. Church of Christ belongs to Christ:
a. Christ built his church, Matt. 16:18.
b. Christ loved his church and died for her, Eph. 5:25-27.
c. Christ purchased his church with his blood, Acts 20:28.
d. The church is the body of Christ & he is its head, Col. 1:18.
e. There is one body, Eph. 4:4.
f. Christ is the Savior of the body, Eph. 5:23.
g. The church of Christ is the fullness of Christ, Eph. 1:23.
B. Jesus Built His Church on the Rock that He is the Christ, the Son of the Living God, Matt. 16:16-18 (1 Cor. 3:11).
1. He is the church’s Savior, Eph. 5:23, 26-27.
2. He is the “chief cornerstone” from which the church is constructed upon Him, Eph. 2:20-21.
C. Jesus Built His Church on the Day of Pentecost, Acts 2.
1. The authority He gave the apostles was used to open the kingdom (church) to the lost (save them), Matt. 16:18-19; Acts 1:8; 2:21, 36-41, 47.
2. Since then, whenever the gospel is obeyed & souls saved, the church has perpetuated on the earth (1 Pet. 1:22-25).
3. Men have fallen away from the faith & are called to return to it, 1 Tim. 4:1; Jas. 4:7-10.
4. The church of Christ did not begin during the “Restoration Movement” in America in the early 1800’s.
5. The church of Christ is not a "movement" that adapts to trends, tendencies and teachings of men.
III. THE CHURCH OF CHRIST IN THE NEW TESTAMENT.
A. Composed of Christians, not Churches, Acts 2:47; 1 Cor. 12:13, 14, 18, 24-28.
B. Church of Christ is Applied Two Ways in NT:
1. Universally, Matt. 16:18; Heb. 12:23. (All the saved)
2. Locally, 1 Cor. 1:2; Gal. 1:2; Rom. 16:16. (Congregations of Christians)
3. Never denominationally!
C. The Church of Christ is the Fullness of Christ, Eph. 1:22:23.
1. Fullness: that which “fills up” or “completes.”
2. The church is the completion or filling up of Christ: The church constitutes the complete body of the Redeemer.
3. Christ’s power, rule, empire, glory & salvation are complete & completely found in His body, the church, cf. 3:21.
a. Body of Christ (Eph. 1:22-23).
b. House of God (1 Tim. 3:15).
c. Temple of God (Eph. 2:21-22).
d. Kingdom of Christ (Matt. 16:18-19).
e. Bride of Christ (Eph. 5:25).
4. To obtain His fullness, you must be in His body, the church of Christ! (Eph. 1:3)
IV. RECOGNIZING THE CHURCH OF CHRIST:
A. Worship, Acts 2:42 (1 Cor. 14:26). [LS, prayer, sing, give, preach].
B. Work of the Churches of Christ, Acts 6:1-4 (2:42; 1 Ths. 1:8).
1. Help needy Christians, 6:2 (serve tables, 1 Tim. 5:16).
2. Prayer & the word, 6:4 (worship, exhortation, evangelism).
C. Organization of Churches, Acts 14:23; Phil. 1:1; only local, 1 Pet. 5:2.
D. Entrance into the Church of Christ (How to be saved), Acts 2:47.
1. Hear the gospel, Jno. 6:45.
2. Believe in Jesus Christ, Rom. 10:17; Jno. 1:12, 8:24.
3. Confess faith in Jesus, Rom. 10:9-10.
4. Repent of sins, Acts 17:30; 2:37-38.
5. Be baptized, Acts 2:38; 22:16 (Rom. 6:3-4); 1 Cor. 12:13 (1 Pet. 3:21).
6. Added by the Lord to His church, Acts 2:47.
1. Jesus Christ died to purchase His church.
2. The churches of men are not the church of Christ!
3. Don’t be satisfied until you are member of the church of Christ, because only then are you saved in Christ (Eph. 1:23).