Series on the church of Christ
THE CHURCH OF CHRIST:
THE WORK OF EVANGELISM
1. "What is 750,000 miles long, reaches around the earth 30 times & grows 20 miles longer each day?" The line of people who are without Christ!
a. Desperate need for evangelism - Jno. 4:34-35; Matt. 9:35-38.
b. Matt. 28:19-20 - Commissioned by Christ.
2. Eph. 4:7-12 - Gracious gifts of Christ to accomplish the "building up of the body of Christ."
a. OIKODOMEO - "To build a house, erect a building" (Thayer, 439) (Used in Matt. 16:18).
b. Enlarging the house of God (Acts 2:47).
I. GOD'S PLAN FROM ETERNITY HAS BEEN TO SAVE THE WORLD BY THE PREACHING OF THE
GOSPEL - Rom. 16: 25-26; 1 Cor. 2:6-9 (1:18-21).
A. All People Need Salvation - Rom. 3:9-10; Titus 2:11 (Heb. 2:9); (Mk. 16:15).
B. God's Grace Gives Us The Remedy For Sin & Its Proclamation (Gospel) - Rom. 1:16-17; Acts 20:24; Rom. 10:13-15.
C. Every Christian Is A Preacher - Acts 8:4; 11:19-20.
D. Every Congregation Using Its Resources To Preach The Gospel - Phil. 4:14-16.
II. CONGREGATIONAL ACTIVITY IN EVANGELISM (1 Cor. 4:16-17 - Pattern
A. Churches Sent Preachers Directly To The Need - Acts 11:22; 13:1-3; 15:2.
B. Churches Directly Supported Preaching By Sending Support Directly To The Preacher - Phil. 4:15-16.
-No sponsoring church, missionary society or other human organization used as a funnel for funds.
C. Congregational Action (Work) Does Not Exclude Nor Fulfill Individual Responsibility - Acts 5:42; 20:20.
III. A FEW WORDS OF EXHORTATION.
A. Satan Doesn't Want Us To Teach The Gospel To Others - 2 Cor. 10:3-5.
1. His work is to minimize, criticize & demoralize God's workers!
2. He says, "be satisfied with what you are doing now!"
3. His ministers ridicule truth & its teachers (Matt. 5:11-12).
-"Too narrow contentious Unloving unkind " You'll never grow!
4. They will question your motives & impugn your integrity! (They did it to your Master!).
5. Persevere & be blessed! - (Mk. 10:29-31)
B. We Have A Ministry (Service) To Perform - Only We Can Do It! - cf. Acts 26:16-18
1. Like Paul, we must try to open the eyes of those blinded by sin!
2. 2 Cor. 4:1-6 - cf. Apostles - "We do not lose heart...we preach...Christ Jesus...to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God..." to the lost!
a. We must not faint we must be strengthened!
b. Hold forth the word of life! (Phil. 2:16)
1. Acts 17:6 - We, like they, must and can "turn the world upside down!"
2. It is done by "sounding forth the word of the Lord!" (l Ths. 1:8)