Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Philippians 2:5-11
Jesus, the Son of Man
(The Gospel of Luke)
1. Christ is the Son of God, Matt. 16:16; emphasizing His deity.
2. Also the Son of Man, emphasizing his complete humanity, Jno. 1:14; Heb. 2:14; 4:15-16.
3. Jesus of Nazareth was/is preached to the world as the very image of the invisible God, Heb. 1:3.
a. Yet, He is fully man – yet far more than Aristotle’s “perfect man” (perfecting his humanity); He is Immanuel, Matt. 1:23.
b. It is “in Him” that we are made complete, Col. 2:9-10 (1 Ths. 5:23).
4. It is in both His perfect deity and humanity that Jesus is fully able to be the Savior of the world.
5. The Gospel of Luke: Presents Jesus as the “Son of God” (6x’s), and especially as the “son of man” (26x’s).
6. The life and work of Christ recorded in Luke is wonderfully outlined in Phil. 2:7-9.
I. THE LIFE, DEATH AND EXALTATION OF CHRIST, Phil. 2:7-9.
A. “Taking the form of a bondservant” (2:7).
· Luke 1-2: Christ’s Coming into this World.
-Lk. 1:26-38: God’s maidservant told of her part in God’s plan
-Lk. 1:67-79: The forerunner of Christ would prepare people
-Lk. 2:10-14, 25-38: Angelic announcement, prophetic recognition
-Lk. 2:39-52: Growth of the child
B. “Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself” (2:8).
· Luke 3-4:13 Christ’s Preparation for His Public Ministry
-John’s work; Christ’s baptism, fasting and temptations
· Luke 4:14-9:50 Christ’s Ministry in Galilee
-Lk. 4:42-44: Preaching and power (8:1-3; 9:43-45)
· Luke 9:51-19:28 Christ’s Journey to Jerusalem
-Lk. 9:51: Rendezvous with destiny; shores up faith of the disciples
-Lk. 10:9, 16: Kingdom of God is near; hear those He sends out
-Lk. 12:54-57: Urges righteous judgment of Him and His work
-Lk. 13:1-5: Calls of repentance
-Lk. 17:20-37: Warnings of judgment (the day when the Son of Man is revealed)
C. “And became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.” (2:8)
· Luke 19:29–23:25 Christ’s Ministry in Jerusalem
-Lk. 19:35-40; 23:21-25: From triumphant entry to tragic rejection
· Luke 23:26-49 Christ’s Crucifixion
-Lk. 23:47: “Certainly this was a righteous Man!”
D. “Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name” (2:9).
· Luke 23:50-56 Christ’s Burial in Joseph’s Tomb
-Dead and buried
· Luke 24:1-49 Christ’s Resurrection
-Lk. 24:1, 7, 21: Third day resurrection; Moses & Prophets fulfilled
-Lk. 24:36-43: Appeared after resurrection
-Lk. 24:47-49: Great commission
· Luke 24:50-53 Christ’s Ascension
-His work of redemption on earth is complete
-Crowned in heaven as king, Eph. 1:20-23 (Lk. 22:69)
1. The Son of Man:
a. Came to seek and save the lost, Lk. 9:56; 19:10.
b. He has the power to forgive sins, Lk. 5:24.
c. To do so, he had to suffer many things, Lk. 9:22.
2. Confess Him before men for Him to confess you in heaven, Lk. 12:8.
3. The Son of Man will come in judgment to avenge His people and punish the wicked, Lk. 18:8; 12:40.
4. Every knee should bow and every tongue should confess! Phil. 2:10-11
Adapted from: http://www.theholyscriptures.org/alfredbouter/Library/Documents/do976.pdf
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: August 7, 2013