Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Luke 24:1-9
The Resurrection of Christ
Things Concerning Christ (#3)
1. “By any measure, the resurrection of Jesus is the most radical of Christian doctrines.” (“Rethinking the Resurrection”, Kenneth L. Woodward, Newsweek, 4/8/96:61)
2. The resurrection of Christ is the keystone of the gospel. The empty tomb stands as a monument to God’s power and our faith in Jesus.
I. BECAUSE HE LIVES...
A. We Know Jesus is the Son of God, Rom. 1:4.
1. Prophesied and fulfilled:
a. Son of God, Psa. 2:7; Acts 13:32-35.
b. Body did not corrupt in grave, Psa. 16:8-11; Acts 2:24-31.
2. Jesus announced this sign to evil generation, Matt. 12:38-40.
3. Our faith is in the living, not the dead, Lk. 24:5.
4. Do not seek the living Savior among the dead:
a. Works of the flesh, Eph. 4:17-21.
b. Doctrines of men, cf. Matt. 24:23-24.
B. We Know Jesus has Power over Death, Jno. 11:25-26.
1. His power is greater than the grave, Jno. 2:18-22; Matt. 27:62-66. The OT Scripture and His word (NT) are true!
2. God’s great power raised and exalted Him, Eph. 1:19-21.
3. We do not fear death, Jno. 14:1-3.
C. The Foundation of the Gospel is Secure, 1 Cor. 15:1-5.
1. Without it there is no “good news”, Lk. 24:17-24, 39-43.
2. Without it there would be no church, Matt. 16:18 (Eph. 1:22).
D. Satan has been Defeated, Gen. 3:15; Heb. 2:14-16.
1. The devil, who had the power of sin and death, was defeated by Christ’s death (sin) and resurrection (death).
2. Christ’s resurrection abolished death (life and immortality)! 2 Tim. 1:10
E. We have a Sure and Living Hope of Resurrection, 1 Pet. 1:3.
1. David was hopeful victory over death, Psa. 16:9-11.
2. Messiah's resurrection gives us living hope, 1 Pet. 1:3.
3. Messiah affirmed that by Him, we will be raised to life, Jno. 11:25 (5:29).
II. IF CHRIST WAS NOT RAISED, 1 Cor. 15:12-19.
-False doctrine of no resurrection was being taught, 15:12.
-Truth or Consequences...
A. Preaching the Gospel is Vain, 1 Cor. 15:14, 3-4.
1. Preaching salvation hangs on Jesus’ resurrection, Acts 10:40-42.
2. False message of deception and lies! cf. Rom. 10:15-17
B. Your Faith is Vain, 1 Cor. 15:14.
1. Faith that your body will be raised is false, 15:17.
2. Pitiful people, trusting in a dead corpse to give us eternal life, 15:19.
3. Christ’s resurrection was the firstfruits (beginning) of the resurrection of the dead, 1 Cor. 15:20; Acts 26:23.
C. Apostles are False Witnesses against God, 1 Cor. 15:5.
1. Eyewitnesses, Acts 1:8, 22; 2:32; 3:15; 4:20; 22:14-15
2. They did not hatch a plot to deceive the world! 2 Pet. 1:16
3. Preached they would be raised because Jesus was raised, 2 Cor. 4:14.
D. We have a False Hope, 1 Cor. 15:18-19 (1 Pet. 1:3).
1. False hope that God will raise us from the dead, 1 Cor. 6:14.
2. False hope that God will bring us with Him, 1 Ths. 4:14.
E. You are Still in Your Sins, 1 Cor. 15:17.
1. Not raised from sin by God’s power that raised Jesus if Jesus was not raised! Col. 2:12
2. Without His resurrection we are not justified, Rom. 4:25.
3. If Jesus not raised, then
a. He is not High Priest. None of his work as High Priest offering Himself as sin’s sacrifice took place.
b. He is not God’s Prophet. His words failed.
c. He is not King (we are not a kingdom). 1 Pet. 3:21-22
1. “But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.” 1 Cor. 15:20 (21-22)
2. Christ’s resurrection is central to the gospel, and to our faith and hope.
3. We will be raised...because He lives!
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: August 19, 2014