Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Titus 3:1-8
By the Grace of God
1. Grace and works designed to earn (merit) salvation do not coexist, Rom. 11:5-6.
2. But grace and works of faith do coexist, Titus 2:11-12; Gal. 5:6 (4).
3. False doctrines about grace give comfort to and cover for sin, Jude 4.
a. Ex. You can never be good enough to earn yourself a home in heaven, therefore, sin no longer affects your eternal life: Grace becomes a cover for the sins that are committed ("nobody's perfect" and "everybody does it"). Rom. 6:21-23
4. These false doctrines include:
a. Saved by “grace alone” (irresistible grace), Josh. 24:15; Matt. 11:28.
b. “Cannot fall from grace,” Gal. 5:4.
c. “Continual cleansing,” Rom. 6:1-2; 1 John 1:9. (Imputation of the righteousness of Christ so that God does not see your sin.)
5. Christians stand in and rejoice in "the true grace of God” as we follow the gospel that commands our obedient faith to be blessed by God in Christ, Luke 17:9-10.
I. BY THE GRACE OF GOD…
A. Sinners are Saved, Eph. 2:1, 4-7, 8-9.
1. By grace: the source, the gift of mercy and love.
2. Through faith: the sinner's faith, produced by the gospel.
3. Not of yourselves; Salvation is God's gift (charis, cf. 1 Cor. 16:3).
B. We are Justified, Rom. 3:24; Titus 3:7.
1. Condition: Through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.
2. Access into grace through faith (not by Law of Moses), Rom. 5:1.
C. We are Accepted in the Beloved, Eph. 1:6.
1. Grace is only obtained “in Christ;” By grace we are made gracious.
a. charitoo: To make graceful; to honor with blessings.
b. By means of Christ (grace) we are encompassed with favor (1:3).
2. Saved freely by His grace, Rom. 3:24.
3. Only when baptized into Christ, Gal. 3:26-27 (action of faith).
4. Grace is applied and blessings are bestowed when the sinner is baptized, cf. Titus 3:4-5, 7.
D. I Am What I Am, 1 Cor. 15:10.
1. Paul was appointed to be an apostle (gift, Eph. 4:7, 11).
2. Note: Grace labors (works).
3. Abundant grace saves the lost, 1 Tim. 1:12-16; Eph. 1:7.
1. God’s grace has appeared and offers salvation to every sinner.
2. The gospel of the grace of God calls the lost to salvation by grace through faith, commanding a willing faith that obeys the Master, Heb. 5:8-9.
3. Part 2: Things grace does not do.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted July 19, 2022