Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Jeremiah 2:9-13
1. Cistern: Cut out of the ground to hold rain water for personal use.
2. Israel exchanged her bountiful blessings for broken cisterns that could never refresh the nation, Jer. 2:4-8, 9-11.
a. Changed their Glory (God) into the glory of idols.
b. Forsook Jehovah God and made fragile, faulty alliances that were destined to hasten her demise, Jer. 2:12-13.
3. Jesus gives living water of everlasting life, Jno. 4:10, 14.
4. Shall the church (the Israel of God) learn from Israel and avoid broken cisterns, or shall we follow the crooked path of God's ancient people?
I. BROKEN CISTERNS OR LIVING WATER? Jer. 17:13; Isa. 55:1; Jno. 7:37
A. False Plans of Salvation.
1. Faith only v. Obedient faith, Mk. 16:15-16.
2. Universalism v. Narrow way to life, Matt. 7:13-14.
3. Hedonism v. denial of the flesh, 1 Cor. 15:32-34. "A school of thought that argues pleasure is the primary or most important intrinsic good. A hedonist strives to maximize net pleasure (pleasure minus pain)." -Wikipedia
B. False Ways of Worship. 1 Kgs. 12:26-33.
1. Ritualism v. spirit and truth, Jno. 4:24.
2. Instrumental music v. only singing, Eph. 5:19.
3. Entertainment (experience) v. Reverential awe, cf. Psa. 89:7; 95:1, 6.
C. False Teachers Teaching Christians, cf. Psa. 107:11; Isa. 30:1 (Deut. 13:1-2)
1. Going to false teachers instead of God's word to learn about prayer.
a. Ex. "War Room"; "Fervent: A woman's battle plan for serious, specific, and strategic prayer" by Priscilla Shirer, Actor/Author/Preacher, graduate of Dallas Theological Seminary (Dispensationalism, Premillennialism, Evangelical, Calvinistic). We would expect her concepts of prayer to involve direct, divine intervention into this world - and they are.
b. Christ: Matt. 6:9-15; 18:21-35; Lk. 18:1-8; et al. teach us prayer.
2. Go to false teachers instead of God's word to learn about grace.
a. Any number of evangelical authors (Charles Swindoll, The Grace Awakening, Max Lucado, In the Grip of Grace, et al.).
b. Grace as a platform for broadened fellowship (grace-unity), Edward Fudge, Carl Ketcherside, Leroy Garrett, et al.
c. Christ: Romans (5-6); Galatians; Eph. 2:8-10; 1 Pet. 5:12; et al.
3. Go to false teachers to instead of God's word to learn about fellowship.
a. F. LaGard Smith (Who is my Brother?), Samuel Dawson (Fellowship: With God and His People), et al.
b. Christ: 1 Jno. 1:1-7; 2 John 9-11; 2 Cor. 6:14-7:1; Eph. 5:11; et al.
4. Go to false teachers instead of God's word to learn about evangelism.
a. Friendship (relational) evangelism: Says relationships are the "bedrock of evangelism" and key to conversion. cf. "Outreach" ministries and "networking" of denominations (Adventists); Brethren are mimicking this viewpoint.
b. Of course, we should be friends and try to teach them; that is not the point here at all.
c. Christ: Acts 2:37-41; 8:29-35; 17:16-33; et al. The emphasis in the NT was always first on the condition of the sinner and the salvation obtainable in Christ; not first cultivating a relationship.
D. False Edification Efforts in the Local Church.
1. The social gospel: Ministering to the "whole" man (socially, physically, emotionally and spiritually).
2. Christ: Each individual Christian is taught to shape their whole self into the image of Christ, not funnel every life activity through the local church. Eph. 4:11-12; 1 Cor. 11:22, 34
1. These are just some of the broken cisterns brethren attempt to use to store up refreshment for their souls. Jer. 2:13
2. These will never refresh the soul, for none of them are from "the fountain of living waters" given by the Lord God. John 7:37-39
Pricilla Shirer (Movie, War Room; Fervent: A Woman's Battle Plan for Serious, Specific, and Strategic Prayer); Co-founder of Going Beyond Ministries---
ĒPriscilla Shirer is a BIBLE teacher. Through the expository teaching of the Word of God to women, her desires to see women not only know the uncompromising truths of Scripture intellectually but experience them practically by the power of the Holy Spirit.
"A graduate of Dallas Theological Seminary, Priscilla holds a Masterís degree in Biblical Studies and loves nothing more than to serve her sisters in Christ through the teaching of Godís Word. She considers it a privilege to serve believers from every denomination and culture by helping them to know the truths of Scripture intellectually and by encouraging them to experience these truths practically by the power of the Holy Spirit." (www.goingbeyond.com, cited by Ken Silva, Priscilla and Contemplative/Centering Prayer)
-Statement of Faith: http://www.goingbeyond.com/ministry/statement-faith/
-Impossibility of apostasy
Going Beyond Ministries Statement of Faith on the Holy Spirit:
"...the Holy Spirit, who indwells and seals all believers at the moment of salvation. Believers must seek the fullness of the Spirit since it is His influence that will bring about victorious Christian living on earth." (Ibid)
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: April 1, 2016