Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Psalm 119:169-176
Blunting the Sword of the Spirit
1. Our life is a spiritual warfare, 2 Cor. 10:3-4; 1 Tim. 6:12; 2 Tim. 4:7.
2. The Spirit of God has equipped us with a sword to attack and defeat our adversary, the devil, Eph. 6:10-13, 17. (Subdues and defeats)
3. By faith, we are victors through God’s strength, grace and love, 1 Cor. 15:57; Rom. 8:37; 1 Jno. 5:4.
4. God’s word is always sharp, but our sinful, selfish and ill-advised choices dull and diminish our ability to effectively use it to conquer sin and Satan.
I. OUR USE OF THE SWORD OF THE SPIRIT IS HINDERED BY:
A. Spiritual Indifference (Spiritual complacency in worship, teaching, home, work, etc.).
1. Indifferent soldier is a dead soldier! He hurts the cause and endangers other soldiers. Lk. 9:23 (zeal, devotion); Rom. 12:11
2. We must be committed to truth and trust it when tempted and attacked, 1 Pet. 3:14-15. (Matt. 4:4, 7, 10)
B. Worldliness, Jas. 4:4; 1 Jno. 2:15-17.
1. Adversaries of God when we befriend the world, Jno. 18:36.
2. Enlisted to suffer hardship of self-denial of fleshly lusts, 2 Tim. 2:3-4; 1 Pet. 2:11.
3. Don’t let the enemy in the camp! 2 Cor. 6:17; Tit. 2:11-12; Gal. 5:16 (Eph. 5:11).
C. Immorality (lack of holiness, moral decency), 1 Pet. 1:14-16; 4:2-3.
1. Destroys influence (1 Cor. 15:33) and hinders using the truth in our lives (Jno. 3:19-21). Argue against truth...angry at it...ignore it.
2. When Christians engage in, endorse and/or tolerate immoral conduct we have laid down the sword and taken up the flesh, Gal. 5:19-21, 24.
a. Social drinking of intoxicants, 1 Pet. 4:3-4.
b. Immodest clothing, 1 Tim. 2:9-10.
c. Modern dancing, 1 Pet. 4:3 (lascivious/lewdness).
d. Profanity, Eph. 5:3-4.
e. Adulterous remarriage, Rom. 7:2-3.
3. “Sometimes faith will make you look stupid; until it starts to rain.” -Noah
D. Compromise (lack of moral courage, 2 Pet. 1:5).
1. A compromised word does not convict sinners or convert souls. Gal. 2:5; 2 Tim. 1:13; Acts 4:29, 31
2. Compromise prevents the sword from pricking hearts, Acts 2:37.
a. Plan of salvation; work and worship of the church.
b. Unity in truth (Eph. 4:3-6).
c. Not: “Just your judgment,” “doesn’t matter,” “all churches are alike,” “just preach Jesus and accept differences,” etc.
d. Taking a butter knife into battle! (Jude 3)
E. Lack of Hunger and Thirst for Righteousness, Matt. 5:6.
1. Selfishness: Many are panting for everything but God, Psa. 42:1; Jas. 4:1-3. Treasure, Matt. 6:19-23; Priorities, Matt. 6:33.
2. Our use of the word of God to fight and refuse sin in our lives is proportional to our desire for righteousness, Psa. 119:129-131.
II. WE MUST PERSEVERE IN THE DAY OF BATTLE, Eph. 6:13.
A. The Spirit’s Sword is Only Effective When We Use It.
1. Faith by hearing it, Rom. 10:17.
2. Obedience by following it, Heb. 11:8.
3. Steadfast when tried, Rev. 13:9-10; 14:11-13.
1. Equip yourself with the sword of the Spirit and do not allow anything to hinder you from taking up the sword of the Spirit and being victorious in the spiritual battle for your soul, Matt. 5:29-30.
2. Stand in the strength of the power of God. (Eph. 6:10)
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: December 19, 2018