BLINDED TO THE TRUTH
1. The truth of God is plain, simple & emphatic - Psa. 119:105 (light); Isa. 35:8; Mk. 12:37.
2. Jesus spoke the plain, simple, emphatic truth of God, & many did not like Him for it! - Jno. 8:40
3. Truth is inseparably linked to man's salvation - 1 Tim. 2:3-4; Jno. 8:31-32.
4. Many do not like it! (Plan of salvation, the church, morality, fellowship ).
5. We are not free to change & adapt divine truth on the basis of culture, generational adaptations or individually-defined meanings - Gal. 1:8-9; Jude 3; 2 Jno. 9. (Truth is not subject to man, but man to truth!)
6. Why are so many people blinded to the truth of God? What hinders a person from coming to the knowledge of the truth & being saved? What hinders us from living in the truth we know to be right?? - 2 Cor. 4:3-4
-(By this study we will learn the things to avoid & remove from our own hearts & lives so that we are not blinded to God's truth!)
I. HOW ARE PEOPLE BLINDED TO THE TRUTH OF THE GOSPEL? - 2 Cor.
A. By Being Ignorant Of The Bible - 2 Pet. 3:14-18 (2 Tim. 2:15). (Lack of faith - "unbelieving" are blinded, 2 Cor. 4:4 -- see Rom. 10:17).
B. By Relying On Human Wisdom - 1 Cor. 1:26-31 (cf. Eccl. 2:12-16).
C. By Being Content Because Of Selfish Pride - Jno. 9:39-41 (Hos. 5:4-5; 7:10).
D. By Being Filled With Spiritual Indifference - Jno. 12:37-40 (cf. Zeph. 1:12).
E. By Appealing To & Relying Upon Emotions - Prov. 16:25; 19:21 (Acts 26:9).
F. By Being Deceived By The Smooth Talk Of False Teachers - Rom. 16:18; Col. 2:3-4 (Acts 20:29-32).
II. WHY DO SO MANY REGARD AS EVIL THE FACT THAT DIVINE TRUTH IS ABSOLUTE?
(And those who uphold absolute truth as "extremists"?! Illus. - email we
recceived describing the Bible Answers web site
as self-righteous, "religious zealot banner" waving.)
A. Because They Have Denied The True God & His Truth, & Are Consumed By Personal Sin - Rom. 1:21-21-22, 24, 26, 28.
1. There is not "will" to do the will of God - Jno. 7:16-17.
2. Thus, man refuses to submit to the absolute law of God - Rom. 8:5-8.
B. Because Absolute Truth Condemns Their Sin - Jno. 3:19-21.
C. Because They Are Convinced That Evil Is Good - Mal. 2:17 (Isa. 5:20).
-cf. Religious people (and churches!) who condone & defend immorality (homosexuality, adultery, pre-marital sex, gambling, social drinking, etc.).
D. Because They Do Not Have A Love For The Truth, But Instead Take Pleasure In Unrighteousness - 2 Ths. 2:10-12.
E. Because They Believe Truth Is Relative - Jno. 18:37. (Humanism)
-Whenever "man is the measure of all things" absolute truth is rejected!
F. Because They Have Compromised With Sin & Error - 2 Tim. 4:3-4; 2 Cor. 6:14-18; 1 Pet. 4:4.
1. We must love truth & hate evil - Psa. 119:97; Job 23:11-12; Amos 5:14-15.
2. Do not be foolish - understand & obey the will of the Lord! Eph. 5:15-17