Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: James 1:21-25
Bible Authority, Part 16
Faith and Bible Authority
1. Series on Bible authority designed to build and reinforce respect for the authority of God in Christ as we live by faith. Matt. 28:18; Col. 3:17
2. The constant choice before us all is whether to respect and obey the authority of Christ as revealed in the Bible or choose to be ruled by a lesser power, Col. 2:8-10, 20-23 (Part 4: tradition, numbers, emotions, little things...).
a. Only two available sources: Heaven and men, Matt. 21:25. (Part 3)
b. Only Jesus, the authority of heaven, can save us, Acts 4:12.
I. LIVING BY FAITH MEANS SUBMITTING TO BIBLE AUTHORITY (Rom. 10:17; 2 Cor. 5:7).
A. Great Faith Draws Necessary Inferences as it Submits to the Authority of Christ, Lk. 7:1-3, 6-8, 9.
1. “Great faith” because he correctly judged Jesus.
2. Our faith takes God-given evidence, believes it and submits to (obeys) Jesus, Heb. 11:1, 6.
B. Great Faith Loves Christ by Obeying His Commands, Jno 14:15; 1 Jno. 5:3.
1. We do not love God when we disobey His commands.
2. Conversely, by our obedience we live our love, cf. 1 Jno. 3:18.
C. Great Faith Follows the Examples of Christ in Hope, 1 Cor. 11:1; Phil. 3:17-21 (14).
1. Discipleship assumes following the Master, Lk. 6:40.
2. His examples (and those of His apostles) are our model, 1 Jno. 2:5-6.
II. FAITH WORKING THROUGH LOVE IS THE PURPOSE OF GOD’S COMMANDMENT, 1 Tim. 1:3-5.
A. Bible Authority Establishes the Doctrine We Teach, 1:3 (Gal. 1:6-9)
-Bible doctrine is godly edification in faith, 1:4.
B. The Purpose of God’s Commandment (His Authority) is Love, 1:5:
1. From a pure heart, cf. Isa. 1:10-17; Psa. 51:16-17.
2. From a good conscience (love without hypocrisy), cf. 1 Pet. 3:21; Rom. 12:9.
3. From sincere faith (genuine, without pretense), Jas. 2:14-18.
III. GENUINE FAITH AND RESPECT FOR BIBLE AUTHORITY, Jas. 1:21-27.
A. Cleanse Your Heart to Make Room for God’s Word, Jas. 1:21.
1. The role of repentance; an action of faith.
2. Pure heart results in a singular purpose of faith, Jas. 4:8.
B. Implant God’s Word Deeply within Your Heart, Jas. 1:21.
1. Engrafted, so the word is able to grow and bear fruit in us.
2. This requires meekness (contrasted with wrath, orge, 1:19-20).
3. The word will save by its power (authority) – not by violating it.
C. We Follow Bible Authority when we Obey the Word, Jas. 1:22-24.
D. Faith at Work is Blessed: Submission to Bible Authority, Jas. 1:25-27.
1. Looks into the perfect law of liberty: “Stooping down” (Jno. 20:5, 11). Psa. 119:97
a. We must take long, careful looks into God’s word.
b. Knowing Bible authority helps us discern God’s law.
2. Continues in it: Stay near, remain, tarry. Obedient submission to God’s law of liberty is one’s constant course.
3. Doer of the work: Obey the law of liberty – it is “perfect” and it converts the soul, Psa. 19:7.
4. Blessed in what he does: Blessings of faith come through living, not by saying, Jas. 1:26-27.
1. By faith we eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness, Gal. 5:5.
2. Faith working through love has strength (power) to overcome sin and death and every obstacle to our heavenly home, Gal. 5:6.
3. But, we must run well by “obeying the truth” – by submitting to Christ’s authority – Bible authority – in everything! Gal. 5:7