Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Acts 11:19-23
Bible Authority, Part 15
The Work of the Local Church: Evangelism
1. “What is 750,000 miles long, reaches around the earth 30 times and grows 20 miles longer each day?” (The line of people without Christ)
a. Desperate need for evangelism,
b. Commissioned by Christ, Matt. 28:18-20.
2. Eph. 4:7-12, 16: Gifts of Christ accomplish the edification of the church as well as its outward growth (incl. evangelism, 4:16).
3. Enlarge the house of God by making disciples (Matt. 28:19):
a. oikodomeo: “To build a house, erect a building” (Thayer, 439).
b. Used of Christ building His church,
c. Evangelism: Enlarges the house of God, Acts 2:47; 4:4; 5:14.
I. GOD’S PLAN IS TO SAVE THE WORLD BY THE PREACHING OF THE GOSPEL,
16:25-26; 1 Cor. 1:18-21; 2:6-9.
A. All People Need this Salvation, Rom. 3:9-10; Tit. 2:11; Heb. 2:9 (Mk. 16:15).
B. God’s Grace Gives Us the Remedy for Sin as Well as its Proclamation, Rom. 1:16-17; Acts 20:24; Rom. 10:13-15.
C. Every Christian Preaches in Some Way, Acts 8:4; 11:19-20.
1. Preaching (Acts 8:4) (euaggelizō): “to bring good news”, “to announce glad tidings”; declare, show.
2. Your words and your life announce proclaim praises, 1 Pet. 2:9.
3. Specifically declaring the gospel message.
D. Every Congregation has Bible Authority to Use its Resources to Preach the Gospel to the Lost, Phil. 1:5, 7; 4:14-16.
CONGREGATIONAL WORK OF EVANGELISM (pattern
A. Churches Sent Preachers to Preach, Acts 11:22; 13:1-3; 15:2.
B. Churches Sent Support Directly to Preachers, Phil. 4:15-16; 2 Cor. 11:8-9 (1 Cor. 9:14).
1. No additional organization necessary or approved: no missionary society, no sponsoring church or any other agency/arrangement used by local churches to funnel funds to the preacher(s).
2. Note: Churches support the man (the preacher) – not the “work”
(the church where he preaches).
C. Congregational Work of Evangelism does not Exclude or Fulfill the Individual’s Work, Acts 5:42; 11:20-21; 20:20.
III. A WORD OF EXHORTATION (Acts 13:15).
A. Satan Doesn’t Want Us to Teach the Gospel to Others, Rom. 10:13-15 (2 Cor. 10:3-5).
1. He works to minimize, criticize and demoralize God’s workers!
2. Satan says, “Be satisfied with what you are doing now.”
3. His ministers ridicule truth and its teachers (Matt. 5:11-12).
-“You are too narrow…contentious…unloving…unkind…you will never grow!” Lk. 8:15
4. They will question your motives and impugn your integrity (they did it
to your Master,
5. Persevere and be blessed (Mk. 10:29-31).
B. We have a Service to Carry Out that Only We can Do, Acts 26:18.
1. Like Paul, we try to open the eyes of those blinded by sin. Who else will (can) do this?
2. cf. Apostles (2
“We do not lose heart...we preach...Christ Jesus...to give the light of the
knowledge of the glory of God...” to the lost.
a. We must not faint…we must be strengthened in faith.
b. Hold forth the word of life, Phil. 2:16.
Like them, we can “turn the world upside down”,
2. Accomplished by sounding forth the word of the Lord, 1 Ths. 1:8.