Topical Studies Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: John 12:34-41
I WANT TO BE SURE!
1. Sometimes when asked about why a person has not yet obeyed the gospel & become a Christian the reply is “I want to be sure” before I do anything.
2. It is good to be sure & confident of the truth, of our responsibilities toward God & of the blessings that come from obeying Christ.
3. Such a reaction can also become a crutch that hinders us from doing what we know to be right & what we need in our lives – Jas. 4:17; 2 Cor. 6:2; Heb. 3:7-8.
4. Look at some things we need to be sure of & hear God’s warning to not delay obeying the gospel.
A. About My Faith.
-It is good to assess one’s faith - 2 Cor. 13:5.
-Test your faith against the word of God (Rom. 10:17).
-Do not test your faith against: The faith of others, emotion, human tradition, experiences, etc. – Col. 2:8
-”I want to be sure (have faith) that…”
1. Jesus really is the Son of God – Matt. 16:13-17.
-His works & words – Jno. 5:36-39, 46-47 (20:30-31).
2. There really is only one church – Matt. 16:18; Acts 2:47; Eph. 1:21-23; 4:4; 5:23.
3. The Bible really is the word of God – 2 Tim. 3:16-17.
-Fulfilled prophecy, its unity & harmony, etc. If not, liars!!
B. About What I Need To Do To Be Saved - Acts 16:30-34; Acts 2:36-41.
1. Are you sure you have (unforgiven) sin in your life? (Rom. 3:23)
2. Do you want to be saved from it? (Rom. 6:23)
3. Will you trust God’s grace & truth that saves sinners in Christ? - Rom. 5:8; Eph. 1:7; Rom. 1:16
4. Will you obey Christ in faith? (Plan of salvation is clear & necessary):
a. Must believe – Heb. 11:6; Jno. 8:24.
b. Must confess faith – Matt. 10:32-33.
c. Must repent of sins – Lk. 13:3, 5 (Acts 17:30).
d. Must be baptized for r of s – Acts 2:38 (22:16; 1 Pet. 3:21).
C. About My Ability to Remain Faithful.
1. Will never be faithful if you do not begin (Acts 22:16).
2. Will always be faithful if you do what Bible says is right – 1 Jno. 1:7; 2:3-6.
3. You can achieve what others before you have accomplished – Heb. 10:32-35.
a. With endurance you can continue to be faithful – Heb. 10:36-39.
b. Understand that you will be tempted, but you can escape & stand – 1 Cor. 10:12-13; Eph. 6:13; Jas. 4:7.
D. About My Eternal Destiny.
1. You can be sure:
a. Faithful Christian – 1 Jno. 5:11-13; 2 Tim. 1:12.
b. Disobedient, unfaithful, not Christian – 2 Ths. 1:8-9 (Phil. 3:19).
II. DANGERS IN THE “I WANT TO BE SURE” THINKING.
A. Delay Can Occur When it Shouldn’t – Acts 22:16; 16:33.
B. Rationalization Can Replace Sound, Biblical Reasoning – cf. Acts 24:24-25.
C. Missed Opportunities do not Always Come Around Again – Prov. 27:1 (2 Cor. 6:2).
D. The Heart Can (Will) Harden - Heb. 3:7-8, 13.
1. Every time you say “no” to God it becomes easier to say “no” again until finally you become “without feeling” (Eph. 4:19; cf. Eccl. 12:1).
2. If your heart is touched by truth do not ignore it – obey it! (Acts 2:37)
1. The question comes to you: Are you sure of your spiritual safety? Are you saved or lost? Do you want to be saved from your sins? Do you want to go to heaven?
2. Will you obey Christ in faith & be redeemed from your sins? Or will you tarry, delay & finally die eternally?
3. Come to Jesus now! (Matt. 11:28-30)