WOULD YOU BE MISSED?
1 Samuel 20:18
1. What kind of impact does your presence have on this congregation? Strength, faithfulness, stability? Or, doubt, weakness, apathy?
2. Our part in the church ought to be filled with faithful activities which would be missed if we were not present! (cf. 1 Sam. 20:18)
a. Would you be missed if your seat was empty?
b. Every Christian ought to be missed!
3. If you can answer "YES" to these questions, then you would be missed if absent!
I. ARE YOU REGULARLY IN YOUR APPOINTED PLACE?
A. We Have "Appointments" (responsibilities & requirements) With God Which We Must Keep.
1. Demonstrates faith, thankfulness (Jas. 1:17), need to be strengthened, & obedience to "keep our appointments" with God.
2. Acts 10:33 - In Gods sight!
B. Consider Some Of The Appointments We Must Keep:
1. Salvation - Heb. 5:8-9 (2 Cor. 6:2).
2. Worship - Psa. 122:1; Heb.10:24-25.
3. Family - Time / attention / care - "nurturing" - 1 Tim. 5:8 (Eph. 6:4).
4. Faithful steward - Lk. 12:42-44.
II. ARE YOU A DEMONSTRATION OF LOVE & FRIENDSHIP?
A. Christians Are True Friends To Each Other - Jno. 13:34-35; 1 Jno. 3:17-18.
1. Away with the "we dont have anything in common" excuse! (Christ, salvation, life, hope, trials, joys, sorrows !)
2. 1 Pet. 4:8 - Fervent love among ourselves!
B. Be A Friend To Have Friends (KJV) - Prov. 18:24; Matt. 7:12.
-The Christian who loses himself in others will be missed when he is absent!
III. ARE YOU AN ENCOURAGEMENT TO THE CHURCH?
A. By Helping Others Be Faithful To The Lord - Gal. 6:2; Jude 22-23.
1. Bearing burdens, compassion, rescuing the fallen, etc.
2. Or do you accuse, complain, murmur, divide?!
B. By Constant Participation With Your Brethren - Rom. 12:11-16 ; 1 Cor. 12:26.
1. Rom. 12:11-16 - Qualities which encourage one another.
2. 1 Cor. 12:26 - When others suffer with us, it helps us to endure. When others rejoice with us, it increases our joy!
3. The Christian who encourages others is missed when he/she is absent!
IV. ARE YOU DEPENDABLE? - Titus 3:1
A. Be Useful To The Lord & His People By Purging Yourself Of Sin & Replacing It With Purity - 2 Tim. 2:20-22 (cf. 4:11).
1. Purge out your sin & replace it with purity!
2. Then you will be useful in the Lord's work & service!
B. Can You Be Depended On To Do Your Part?
1. Teach, preach, worship, grow, to encourage & love, stand for truth .
2. If you can be trusted to do your best, you will be missed when you are absent! (2 Cor. 8:12)
V. ARE YOU A HELPER IN TIME OF NEED?
A. Do You Look To The Welfare Of Your Fellow Christians? - 1 Ths. 5:14-15; Phil. 2:3-4.
1. Life so fast-paced -- We must slow down & remember each other!
2. 5:14-15 - Warn, encourage, support, longsuffering, pursue good to all.
3. We are made better by helping others, & so is the one we help!
4. The Christian who can be turned to for help in time of need will be missed when he/she is absent!
1. If your seat is empty, does this church feel your absence?
2. Be assured that God knows our level of faithfulness, friendship, encouragement, dependability & helpfulness - Heb. 4:13.
3. Your place in this church is important! Others count on you! God counts on you to be His faithful servant by serving your brethren! (Matt. 25:40)