Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Titus 3:4-8
The Appeals of Baptism
1. When a person knows he is in trouble he cries out for help (Peter, “Lord, save me!” Matt. 14:30).
a. We learn we are in spiritual trouble (lost in sin) by the gospel of Christ, 1 Cor. 1:21.
b. Sinners learn of grace, faith, and salvation by the gospel, Col. 1:5-6.
2. Gospel shows the role of baptism in our salvation from sin as an earnest appeal of faith made to God to be saved by His grace (Eph. 2:8-9).
I. BAPTISM IS AN APPEAL. (plea, petition, call)
A. It is an Appeal Made by Sinners to God, Acts 2:21.
1. Call on the name of the Lord: To invoke, to cry out; to call upon for help (Rom. 10:12-14).
2. Explanation given and obeyed (saved), Acts 2:36-41.
B. Without Making this Appeal You Will Not be Saved, Mark 16:16.
1. Acts 2:38 (eis): towards, in order to remission of sins.
2. Acts 16:30-34: Believe to be saved: Heard, believed, repented, baptized, rejoiced, having believed in God.
II. THE APPEALS OF BAPTISM.
A. An Appeal for Salvation, Mark 16:16 (It shall be so, 1 Pet. 3:21).
B. An Appeal for Mercy, Titus 3:4-7. (God’s grace)
1. A plea for forgiveness, Acts 2:38.
2. A plea to be saved from death, Acts 16:30-34.
3. A plea to wash away sins, Acts 22:16.
4. A plea to enter the kingdom, John 3:3-5; Acts 8:12.
C. It is an Appeal of Faith, Acts 8:30-38; Mark 16:15-16. (Our faith)
1. “Your faith has saved you,” Luke 7:48-50 (Acts 18:8).
2. Lydia had shown herself faithful to the Lord, Acts 16:14-15.
3. Obedient faith, Rom. 6:17-18.
D. An Appeal of a Good Conscience, 1 Pet. 3:21. (“Inquiry…avowal of consecration to God after inquiry”, RWP; “earnest seeking, craving, an intense desire”, Thayer)
-A new creature, purged of sin, 2 Cor. 5:17; 1 Pet. 1:22-23.
E. An Appeal for New Life, Rom. 6:3-4.
1. To reach His death, Rom. 6:3.
2. To die to sin, Rom. 6:4 (6).
3. The circumcision of Christ: Cutting away sin, Col. 2:11-13.
F. An Appeal to be United with Christ, Rom. 6:4-5.
1. Relationship/fellowship: Put on Christ, Rom. 6:3; Gal. 3:26-27.
2. In the name of: Authority/Relationship, Matt. 28:19; Acts 19:3-5.
G. An Appeal that Justifies God, Luke 7:29-30.
1. By their obedience in baptism they declared God was just in what He required of them; they accepted the will of God, Matt. 3:15.
2. Those who were not baptized rejected (resisted) God’s will, Luke 7:30.
1. Now it is left for you to decide whether you have the faith to appeal to God for His grace and be saved in Jesus Christ:
a. If you believe, you may, Acts 8:36-37 (Heb. 11:6).
b. Do not wait any longer, Acts 22:16.
c. If you receive God’s word you will be baptized to be saved, Acts 2:40-41.
2. Obey Jesus in faith and be saved by God’s grace, Heb. 5:9; Eph. 2:8-9 (1 Pet. 1:22-23)
By: Joe R. Price
Posted June 13, 2022