Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Psalm 119:124-128
God Has Spoken: A Study of Bible Authority
(The Necessity of Authority)
1. God has spoken to man (Heb. 1:1-2).
2. God has revealed Himself & will for mankind in His word, the Bible.
3. It is vital that we understand authority (lesson last week).
4. Build on that: why divine authority is needed in our lives.
I. WHAT IS AUTHORITY? (exousia)
-Denotes freedom of action & the power that approves the action, Matt. 21:23; Acts 1:7; cf. Jno. 1:12 (permission & the power to give that permission).
-Common usage: “The power or right to give commands, enforce obedience, take action, or make final decisions; jurisdiction,” (Webster’s New World Dictionary).
II. THE PRESENCE OF AUTHORITY IS UNIVERSAL.
A. Authority is Exercised & Submitted to Daily:
1. In the home, Eph. 5:22-24; 6:1.
2. By governments (federal, state, county, city), Rom. 13:1-3.
-Laws & regulations, enforcement agencies, etc.
3. By businesses (Eph. 6:5-9); schools (Acts 22:3).
B. Authority Exists & Must Be Submitted to in the Most Important Area of Life: Salvation of the Soul, Matt. 28:18; Eph. 1:20-23; 5:24 (cf. the local church, Heb. 13:7, 17).
III. OUR NEED FOR DIVINE AUTHORITY (Judg. 21:25).
A. Authority in Life is Necessary Due to the Nature of God.
-God is sovereign by right of Creation (possession, Gen. 1:1), presence (eternal, Jer. 23:24; Psa. 90:2) & power (Almighty, Jer. 32:17); Acts 17:24-28; Psa. 115:3.
B. Authority in Life is Necessary Due to the Nature & Needs of Man. (We need divine help!)
1. Man cannot correctly guide himself, Prov. 14:12; Jer. 10:23.
a. Man has limited knowledge and ability.
b. Man is the creature & subject to the will of his Creator, Rom. 9:20-21. It is foolish & futile to reply against God!
2. Man is a sinner, with the habit of sinning (Rom. 3:23; Eph. 2:1-3).
C. Authority in Life is Necessary because Reconciliation with God is Impossible without it.
1. God provides for man’s redemption (man cannot) – and He has in Christ, Eph. 1:3-11 (good pleasure of His will…His will…His good pleasure which He purposed in Himself…the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will).
2. Knowledge of God’s provisions & His terms (conditions) of redemption are essential or our salvation, 1 Cor. 15:1-2 (Matt. 7:21).
3. A standard of right & wrong is essential (Josh. 1:7).
4. Truth & error must be available & understandable, so sinners can live with God’s approval (Jno. 17:17; 8:32; 1 Jno. 4:1, 6).
D. We Need an Objective Standard of Authority.
-A revealed message from God, not a devised message from man, Heb. 1:1-2; 2 Pet. 1:16, 20-21; Matt. 15:6-9.
E. We Need a Standard of Authority that will…
1. Grant us fellowship with God, 1 Jno. 1:6-7 (2:3-6); 2 Jno. 9.
2. Establish & maintain unity among believers, Jno. 17:20-21 (Eph. 4:4-6; Phil. 3:16).
3. Lead the way to heaven, Matt. 7:13-14; Jno. 14:6.
1. We need authority to live on earth & to live eternally. We must live under God’s authority to have His approval & redemption in Christ (Lk. 6:46; Col. 3:17).
2. Next lesson: God has provided the authority we need in a way we can live under it & be blessed.