Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Matthew 27:31-38
At the Cross of Jesus
1. The cross has been idolized as an icon and glamorized as jewelry.
2. The cross was rugged, raw and rough; nothing beautiful about the timber on which Jesus hung (tree, 1 Pet. 2:24).
3. Just as the cross was seen on Golgotha, the cross of Jesus Christ is on full display in the gospel, Gal. 3:1 (Jno. 19:17-20).
I. CRUELTY AT THE CROSS.
A. Crucifixion was Execution by Torture.
B. Curiosity and Care at the Cross.
1. Many passed by, Jno. 19:20.
2. Some lingered to watch the end, Lk. 23:35, 48.
3. Mary and others were at the cross, Jno. 19:25; Lk. 23:49.
C. Contempt at the Cross, Lk. 23:35-39 (Matt. 27:39-44).
II. CONFRONTATION AT THE CROSS.
A. You Must Confront Jesus at the Cross, Jno. 19:21-22; Matt. 27:54. Who was Jesus?
-Criminal? Innocent? Deluded? Imposter? Blasphemer? Son of God?
B. Jesus Confronted and Overcame Sin at the Cross.
1. Great spiritual battle at the cross; Satanís effort to destroy the redemptive purpose of God. Satan utterly failed, Jno. 12:27, 31-33 (Rev. 12:9).
2. Jesus confronted and overcame sin there, 1 Pet. 2:21-24.
a. Bore our sins, Isa. 53:3-6 (punishment we were due).
b. Offering for sins of the world, Isa. 53:10-12 (Heb. 10:10).
C. Each of Us Must Confront Our Sins at the Cross, Lk. 23:26-34.
1. Our sins put Jesus on the cross.
2. Godís love for us to save us from our sins kept Jesus on the cross, Rom. 5:6-10.
3. Christís devotion to us and the Fatherís will endured the cross, Jno. 10:11, 17-18; 12:27.
III. CONVERSION AT THE CROSS.
A. The Thief, Matt. 27:38-44; Lk. 23:39-43.
B. The Centurion and Soldiers, Matt. 27:54 (27-31, 35-37).
C. You? 1 Cor. 1:18-21
1. God in Christ defeated sin at the cross, Rev. 5:8-9.
a. The cruel cross confronted sin and overwhelmed it. There, redemption is available for all.
b. Redemption is given to all who will believe and who die to sin by being baptized into His death, Rom. 6:3-4.
2. Jesus used the cross as a figure of our death and sacrifice to serve Him, Lk. 9:23.
3. Come to the cruel cross; confront who Jesus is and your sin against Him, and convert to Christ, Acts 3:19.
4. ďBut God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.Ē (Gal. 6:14, NKJV)
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: March 20, 2018