Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Acts 20:5-12
The Value of Attending Worship Services
1. Attend – “To stretch to,” to stretch the eyes & ears toward anything, to give consideration. (Heb. 10:24-25)
2. Attention is another form of “attendance” – Both have to do with being present to learn &/or participate. Both are needed.
3. Our attendance at worship services is valuable to our faith, & our view of attendance & our attention while in attendance says something about our faith.
I. THE VALUE OF ATTENDING WORSHIP SERVICES IN THE LIVES OF EARLY CHRISTIANS – Acts 20:6-7.
A. Worshipping God with the Brethren was Important – 20:6.
1. Planned - Tarried a week.
a. Some say Paul was just waiting for a merchant ship – Also see grander & greater motive.
b. cf. Our travels – Should plan ahead to worship with faithful Christians.
2. Waited for/anticipated – Heb.10:24-25. cf. Psa. 122:1; 42:4.
a. To them, it was not a have to thing, but a want to experience!
b. From it they gained encouragement, joy, gladness. (cf. us)
B. There Was a Singular Interest to Worship God on the First Day of the Week – 20:7.
1. To break bread:
-1 Cor. 11:17-34 – When their singular interest had become a social gathering & not to attend to/give attention to worship it was not praiseworthy!
2. To edify – 1 Cor. 14:26.
3. Not with improper motives:
a. To judge one another – Jas. 2:1-4.
b. To look with a critical eye at everybody.
C. It was an Opportunity to Teach the Gospel – 20:7.
1. As much teaching as possible (prolonged until midnight).
2. Length was not a concern – (cf. 20:11).
a. All the law to Israel – Josh. 8:30-35.
b. Attentive to the law – Neh. 8:1-3.
c. Daily attention – Acts 2:46; 19:9.
II. THE VALUE OF ATTENDANCE.
A. Attendance Honors God.
1. The focus of our assembled worship is God – Jno. 4:23-24.
a. Lord’s Supper is communion with Lord – 1 Cor. 11:20 (10:16).
b. Singing is unto the Lord – Eph. 5:19.
c. Prayer is before & unto God – 1 Tim. 2:8 (1-2).
d. Giving is recognition of God’s blessings – 1 Cor. 16:2.
e. Preaching word of God gives reverence to God – 2 Tim. 4:1-2.
2. Any other focus is sinful (Matt. 15:8).
B. Attendance Promotes Our Instruction – Acts 11:26.
1. Continued learning is a great protector for the Christian – 2 Tim. 2:15; 1 Ths. 2:13; Phil. 1:9-10.
2. It gives us what we need to face life & give an answer – 1 Pet. 3:15.
3. It is the means of escape from temptations when they come – 1 Cor. 10:13.
4. Opportunity to convince & convict the lost – 1 Cor. 14:24-25.
5. When one devalues attending - He is devaluing instruction in God’s word.
C. Attendance Concentrates Our Energies.
1. That there is “strength in numbers” helps to reinforce the faith of every Christian who attends regularly – cf. Acts 4:23-24; 12:5, 12.
a. Don’t see strong Christians fail to attend – weak ones do.
b. Yet – Some come who don’t really attend! They don’t “stretch forth” their ears & eyes – They just come, sit, then leave & forget what kind of person they are – Jas. 1:24!
2. Those who regularly (& really attend) benefit from:
a. Mutual provocation – Heb. 10:24.
b. Mutual encouragement – Acts 2:46.
c. Mutual aspirations – Acts 20:7.
3. We are all involved in the same goals, doing the same work, seeking the same results.
D. Attendance Helps Prevent Future Problems.
1. Being together in worship promotes our Christian unity, companionship & knowledge of one another – Phil.2:4; Col. 3:15.
-Opportunity to grow closer through edification (1 Cor. 14:26).
2. Major part of this is achieved outside of worship services! (Don’t neglect, thinking assembly is enough.)
3. Strength in unity. (Eph. 4:3)
When you attend – Be attentive. Worship, learn, grow & strengthen your faith…and help strengthen the church.