Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Luke 13:22-27
RIGHTEOUS BY ASSOCIATION?
1. The Bible rejects the doctrine of “guilty by association” (both hereditary depravity & hereditary innocence are false, Ezek. 18:20).
a. Mere contact with sinners does not make one a sinner, Lk. 15:1-2; 1 Cor. 5:9-10.
b. This is not permission to ignore the influence of wicked, 1 Cor. 15:33-34.
2. Problem stated: Thinking we are righteous because of our association with those we deem to be righteous.
3. Mere contact / proximity to righteous people &/or activities does not make one righteous, Ezek. 18:20. (cf. the appeal of religious icons)
4. Lk. 13:23-27: Some think they will be saved because they were in the presence of Jesus; He did not “know” them!
5. We must not be guilty of considering ourselves “righteous by association.”
I. THE INFLUENCE OF THE RIGHTEOUS PERSON IS POWERFUL & NEEDED.
A. In a Marriage, 1 Cor. 7:14.
B. In the Home (parents upon children), 2 Tim. 1:5 (3:14-15).
C. In the World, Col. 4:5-6 (Matt. 5:13-16).
D. In the Church, 2 Cor. 9:2.
II. THE INFLUENCE OF THE RIGHTEOUS PERSON DOES NOT REMOVE THE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY OF EACH PERSON, Lk. 13:25-27.
-In a marriage: unbeliever must obey gospel (1 Pet. 3:1-2).
-In the home, child grows to accountability (Lk. 2:52).
-In the world, each person is responsible to God (1 Pet. 4:5).
-In the church, each bears his own burden (Gal. 6:5).
A. Faith by Association is not True Faith, cf. 2 Tim. 1:5.
1. Judas’ proximity to Jesus did not make him a man of faith (Jno. 6:70).
2. Job's wife was not a woman of faith, though married to a righteous man (Job 1:1; 2:9-10; Ezek. 14:14, 20).
3. Take responsibility & confess your faith! Jno. 12:42-43
B. Repentance by Association is not True Repentance, Matt. 3:5-9.
1. These thought their association with those truly repenting & their Hebrew ancestry secured their souls.
2. God has no grandchildren: Each generation of sinners must repent!
3. Repentance is not “reporting”; changing of mind & life, Acts 19:18-20.
C. Worship by Association is not True Worship, Jno. 4:23-24.
1. Christian responsibility to assemble to worship, Heb. 10:24-25.
2. Being present does not mean you are truly worshipping, Matt. 15:8-9.
3. Can eat LS without discerning body & blood of Christ, 1 Cor. 11:27-31.
4. Worship in spirit & truth, Psa. 5:7; 29:2; Heb. 2:12.
D. Morality by Association is not True Morality, Phil. 4:8.
1. We are taught to live moral lives, Tit. 2:11-13 (1 Jno. 3:3).
2. Morality begins in the heart, Mk. 7:21-23 (Col. 3:12).
3. It is then seen in how we live, cf. 1 Tim. 2:8-10 (Eph. 5:8-14).
E. Bible Study by Association is not True Bible Study, 2 Tim. 2:15.
1. Bearing personal testimonies is not Bible study (Jno. 6:68).
2. Forwarding error via e-mail, etc. is not Bible study (Eph. 5:11).
3. An example of genuine Bible study, Acts 17:11-12:
a. Begins with a good & honest heart (Lk. 8:15).
b. Opens the book of God (Lk. 4:17).
c. Searches for the truth of God (Jno. 5:39).
d. Produces faith & obedience (Acts 18:8; Rom. 10:17).
F. Evangelism by Association is not True Evangelism, Acts 8:4.
1. “Friendship” / “Relationship” evangelism: Bases evangelism on one’s personal relationships.
2. No one doubts that relationships provide an opportunity to teach (Jno. 1:40-41).
3. Reject as false the notion that without the existence of a prior, personal relationship there can be no effective evangelism, cf. Acts 2:41; 8:5-6; 8:29-30.
4. Neither are we personal workers just by knowing or being around someone who is a personal worker (Eph. 4:16).
5. Associating with liberal (false) brethren is not teaching them the truth; in fact, it is having fellowship with error (2 Jno. 10-11).
G. Salvation by Association is not True Salvation, Lk. 13:23-27.
1. Being saved does not mean those you associate with (cf. your children) are saved.
2. Having parents who are saved does not mean you are saved.
3. Knowing what you need to do to be saved does not mean you are saved (Matt. 7:21).
4. Knowing you are lost will not save you, but it is necessary if you are going to repent & obey the gospel to be saved! (Acts 2:37-41)
1. No more painful & hopeless words that to here Jesus say, “I do not know you…depart from me, all you workers of iniquity” (Lk. 13:27).
2. Gal. 3:26-27: Be associated with Christ by faith; obey His gospel & be saved.