Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Philippians 3:12-16
How to Assess My Spiritual Growth
1. “Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection.” (Mark Twain)
2. God expects us to continually develop spiritually, knowing that “perfection” is about maturity toward completion in heaven, Phil. 3:12; Heb. 12:23.
3. How are we growing spiritually? 2 Pet. 1:5-11
I. WHAT WE MUST HAVE FOR GENUINE SPIRITUAL GROWTH.
A. Good Nutrition.
1. Bread of life (Jesus), Jno. 6:35, 48-51 (63). Eat His words (1 Pet. 2:2).
2. A lot of spiritual junk food out there that tastes good; Unhealthy!
B. Spiritual Exercise, Heb. 5:13-14; 1 Tim. 4:7-8. Exertion using word.
C. Disciplined Lifestyle, 1 Cor. 9:24-27 (Heb. 12:1-2).
1. Spiritual growth is about a lifestyle (image of Christ).
2. Walk, correct, and improve, 1 Jno. 1:7-2:2.
II. WAYS TO ASSESS OUR SPIRITUAL GROWTH.
A. Markers of Growing Spiritually Weak and Away from Christ:
1. My heart is dull toward God’s word, Matt. 13:15 (Acts 28:27). -Reading, hearing, learning God’s word is a chore.
2. My love for God is growing cold, Matt. 24:12; 1 Jno. 5:3 (Matt. 22:37-39). Obedience is a burden; Worship is a ritual, forced.
3. Prayer has become an afterthought, Lk. 18:1, 8; 1 Thess. 5:17.
4. I am frustrated over doing good, Gal. 6:9 (disheartened); 2 Thess. 3:13 (zealous of good works, Tit. 2:14); unto Lord, Matt. 25:40, 45.
5. I am growing eager to satisfy the flesh, 1 Tim. 5:11 (indulgent); Eph. 4:22; 2 Tim. 2:22; 1 Pet. 2:11. (Curious or fleeing?)
B. Markers of Growing Spiritually Strong and Closer to Christ:
1. I speak and live the truth in love, Eph. 4:13-15 (Matt. 12:34).
a. Speak truth to win a soul, not win an argument.
b. When the truth of God is the focus of attention, not myself.
c. When we speak truthfully with others, Eph. 4:25.
2. I am faithfully doing my part as a member of the body of Christ (church), Eph. 4:16.
a. I live as part of the body, not independent of it, 1 Cor. 12:14-27.
b. Each Christian is vital (12:14-19), needed (12:20-22), honorable (12:23-24), with mutual care (12:25-27).
3. I am working for the Lord, Heb. 6:10-12.
4. I am diligent to be holy and living in grace, 2 Pet. 3:14-18 (2 Tim. 2:1-2).
5. I am putting off the old man of sin (putting away sinful attitudes and conduct) and putting on the new man of Christ, 1 Pet. 2:1-2; Eph. 4:20-24.
1. Spiritual growth is not completed in a day. Our growth only ends in the resurrection unto eternal glory, Phil. 3:12-14.
2. If you are growing weaker/away from Christ then know that
a. Full-grown sin produces spiritual death (Jas. 1:15-16).
b. Repent and change without delay.
3. If you are growing stronger/closer to Christ, then you are
a. Qualified (fit, equipped) to be a partaker of “the inheritance of the saints in light,” Col. 1:9-12.
b. Keep growing and endure to the end, Phil. 3:16; Matt. 10:22.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted August 5, 2019