Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 1 Peter 1:13-21
As Obedient Children
1. The gospel reports the salvation God planned, prophesied and provided, 1 Pet. 1:10-12.
2. Summary, 1 Pet. 1:13: We are commanded to live accordingly:
a. Gird up the loins of your mind: habit of the Orientals, who quickly gathered up their loose robes with a girdle when in a hurry or starting on a journey” (Word Pictures, Robertson). “Make up your minds decisively!” (Lenski) Keep your thoughts, purposes and decisions ready and active (cf. Lk. 12:35-37).
b. Be sober: Free of intoxicants, clear, serious, cf. 1 Pet. 4:7; 5:8.
c. Rest your hope fully on future grace: Live for God’s eternal favor, not temporal pleasures (1:7; Col. 3:4).
3. These are attributes of obedient children, 1 Pet. 1:14.
4. Why should we be obedient children of God?
I. BECAUSE GOD (WHO CALLED US) IS HOLY, 1 Pet. 1:14-16.
-Our obedience derives from the nature of God the Father, and making up our minds that we will be like Him.
A. God has Called Us Out of Darkness into His Marvelous Light, 1 Pet. 2:9 (Col. 1:13).
1. Called (to be) saints, 1 Cor. 1:2; By the gospel, 2 Thess. 2:13-14.
2. Do not fashion yourselves after the former lusts, 1 Pet. 4:1-4.
B. The Holiness of God is Our Model (Pattern), Lev. 11:44.
1. Separation from moral defilement, cf. Deut. 23:13-14; 2 Cor. 7:1.
2. Applications: 1 Pet. 4:3 (lusts, fornication, dancing, drinking, porn, etc., Gal. 5:19).
II. BECAUSE WE CALL ON GOD AS OUR FATHER, 1 Pet. 1:17.
A. We are in His Family and Heirs of His Blessings, Gal. 4:6-7.
1. We are called by His name, cf. Acts 15:17.
2. We invoke His help, cf. Matt. 6:9; Phil. 4:6.
B. Therefore, We Conduct Ourselves in Fear, Matt. 10:28; Acts 10:35.
III. BECAUSE OUR FATHER WILL IMPARTIALLY JUDGE US, 1 Pet. 1:17.
A. God does not Respect Persons, Acts 10:34.
1. Illus. Parents do not always practice impartiality.
2. God is impartial; He will not overlook sin, Rom. 2:1-3 (11).
B. He Will Judge According to Each Person’s Works, Rom. 2:6.
1. God will not judge by emotion, favoritism, personal desire, etc.
2. Deeds, whether good or bad, 2 Cor. 5:10.
IV. BECAUSE WE WERE REDEEMED WITH PRECIOUS BLOOD, 1 Pet. 1:18-20.
A. We have been Redeemed:
1. Redeemed: “to release on receipt of ransom” (Vine).
2. What is given in exchange for another as the price of redemption, Matt. 20:28.
3. Redeemed from aimless conduct (vacuous, emptiness) of sin that is handed down (tradition), 1:18. Idolatry, immorality, unbelief...
B. Not Redeemed with Material Things Like Money, 1:19.
C. Redeemed with Precious (Honorable, 3:7) Blood, 1:19.
1. Innocent, sinless life, 1 Pet. 2:22; 3:18.
2. An offering for sin, Isa. 53:10-11.
a. Foreordained by God, 1:20 (2); Eph. 1:4.
b. Revealed for us, 1:20; Gal. 4:4.
V. BECAUSE OUR FAITH AND HOPE ARE IN GOD, 1 Pet. 1:20-21.
A. God Raised Jesus and Glorified Him, Acts 2:32-36.
B. God Has Raised Up Us with Him, Eph. 2:5-6.
C. God Will Raise Up Us with Him, 1 Cor. 6:14 (2 Cor. 4:14).
1. Grace will be brought to God’s “obedient children” when Jesus returns, 1 Pet. 1:13.
2. Profound reason for us to be obedient children: Otherwise, we will be lost.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: May 19, 2017