Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Acts 13:44-49
1. We are acquainted with appointments (doctor, dinner, business, mechanic).
2. The word of God tells of appointments made by God; some we must keep & others we choose to keep; all affect our relationship with & salvation in Him.
I. APPOINTED TO ETERNAL LIFE, Acts 13:48.
-[tasso: “1) to put in order, to station; 1a) to place in a certain order, to arrange, to assign a place, to appoint”; “a military term to place in orderly arrangement” (Robertson)] (cf. Acts 15:2; 28:23).
A. God has Arranged Salvation Based on His Purposes, Fulfilled in Christ, Eph. 1:4-12. Some principles concerning salvation:
1. God gives us the freedom of choice, Gen. 2:16-17; cf. Lk. 10:42.
2. God is not a respecter of persons, 2 Chrn. 19:7; 1 Pet. 1:17.
a. He puts conditions on his blessings, Psa. 138:6; Prov. 3:31-34.
b. Fear Him & work righteousness, Acts 10:34-35.
3. Salvation is not wholly dependent on God:
a. The origin of salvation is utterly dependent on God. Eph. 2:4-10 (Tit. 3:5).
b. The reception of salvation is dependent on man, Acts 2:36-41. (Not given apart from man’s own will; a willful response to word preached.
B. The Condition: Belief (cf. Acts 13:38-39, 44-49; 16:30-34…).
1. Acts 13:44-49: The word of God…believed it…were glad (saved).
2. Acts 16:30-34: Saving faith obeyed the word of the Lord.
C. The Class: In Christ, Eph. 1:3-5; Gal. 3:26-27.
II. APPOINTED TO DIE, Heb. 9:27.
-[apokeimai: “1) to be laid away, laid by, reserved; 2) reserved for one, awaiting him”]
A. Take Care of your Spiritual Health, 1 Tim. 4:6-11 (1 Cor. 9:26-27).
B. Use Your Time Now to Do God’s Will, Jas. 4:13-17; Eph. 5:17; Rom. 13:11.
III. APPOINTED TO BE JUDGED, Acts 17:30-31 (1 Ths. 5:9).
[histemi: “1) to cause or make to stand, to place, put, set; 1b) to make firm, fix establish; 1b1) to cause a person or a thing to keep his or its place; 1b3) to establish a thing, cause it to stand 1b31) to uphold or sustain the authority or force of anything”]
A. Day of Judgment is set by the Authority of God, Acts 17:30-31.
B. Judged in Righteousness, Acts 17:31; Rom. 2:5-6.
1. Our lives in light of the righteous standard of truth, 2:2; Rev. 20:12 (Tit. 2:12)
2. Do not reject the word of Jesus, Jno. 12:48 (5:28-29).
C. Things Concerning the Judgment & Each Person:
1. I am known by God, Heb. 4:13 (Gal. 4:9).
2. I will stand Before God, 2 Cor. 5:10.
3. I am accountable to God, Heb. 4:13; 1 Pet. 1:15-17.
4. I will answer to God, Rom. 14:12.
D. Separation…Saved…Commit Your Soul to God, 1 Pet. 4:17-19.
1. The Christian’s hope is laid up (appointed, Heb. 9:27) in heaven, Col. 1:5.
a. A reservation kept for Christians, 1 Pet. 1:4 (a living hope, 1:3).
b. Made certain by God & secured in Christ, Heb. 6:13, 18-20.
2. Crown of righteousness is laid up (waiting, Heb. 9:27), 2 Tim. 4:8.