Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Ephesians 4:17-24
How Do I Apply God's Truth in My Life?
1. The truth of God is nothing if not practical & life changing – Heb. 4:12 (Eph. 4:17-24).
2. Gal. 4:19 – Forming Christ within us is the essence of Christianity (3:27; Col. 1:27).
3. This involves living as God’s word says to live – Jno. 14:21-23.
4. Here is the challenge: How do I turn what the scriptures say into the way that I live?
a. How do I make my heart this type of heart? (Col. 3:12-15)
b. Submissive wife; loving husband? (Eph. 5:22-30)
c. How do I grow to perfection? (2 Pet. 3:18)
5. To succeed in any job we must have the proper tools, and we must have the ability to properly use them (cf. Mechanic).
6. Tools we need to live for Christ.
I. A GOOD HEART – Lk. 8:15; cf. Matt. 23:25-26.
A. An Unprejudiced Mind, Willing to Receive & Hold Fast to the Truth – Lk. 8:15.
1. Matt. 23:25-26 - First, cleanse the heart of sin.
2. Cf. 2 Tim. 3:16 - Requires a good heart to submit to the indictments, corrections & regulation of life found in the Bible!
3. Lk. 8:15 - Clings to truth, whatever cost!
4. Lk. 8:15 - Bears fruit - Product corresponds to the seed – Christ formed within us!
5. Psa. 51:10-13 - Clean heart & willing spirit secures blessings from God!
II. A RESPONSIVE FAITH – Hebrews 11:6.
A. Trust that what God Says Will Work in Your Life, & that it will be the Best for You.
1. cf. Noah (11:7); Sarah (11:11-12); Moses crossing Red Sea (11:29).
2. Successful because they trusted God’s way would work the best!
a. Show compassion, etc.; trusting that relationships will improve – Col. 3:12-15.
b. Wife: Trust that submission brings satisfaction. Husband: Trust that true love is worth the sacrifice (Eph. 5:22-30).
c. Trust that labor is not vain (cf. teaching, morality, discipline...) (1 Cor. 15:58).
3. When we have trouble conforming ourselves to Christ we must become more convinced that God’s way works & is best for us!
III. COMPLETE COMMITMENT - Matt. 6:19-24; Rom. 12:11 (Acts 11:23).
A. We Pursue what is Valuable to Us! – 6:19-21
1. Why do some have such zeal, diligence & devotion to spiritual living? – 6:21
2. 6:22-24 – Problem: We see double: One eye on earthly things & one eye on heaven!
B. Zealous Christian Living by Using God’s Truth – Heb. 5:13-14.
1. Milk: No progress beyond learning the basics.
2. Meat: Uses/exercises/discerns in life!
3. Build upon the foundation to be mature – Heb. 6:1-3.
IV. SERIOUS STUDY OF GOD’S WORD – 2 Tim. 2:15.
A. Bible must be Our Final Authority (Source of Direction) – Jno. 6:63, 68.
1. Life only found in words of Christ - Our life must be Bible-based.
2. Consult scripture often to direct your decisions in life.
a. Serious student doesn’t wait until Sunday / Wed. night to study God’s word.
b. Lay it up in your heart – Psa. 119:11.
B. Study with the Intention of Obeying God – 2 Tim. 2:15 (Jno. 7:17).
1. Workman – Labors to conform to truth.
2. Gal. 4:19 - Forming Christ (cf. 5:16, 25).
V. SELF-EXAMINATION USING GOD’S WORD – 2 Cor. 13:5 (Jas. 1:22-25).
A. Don’t Waste Time Comparing Your Life to the Wrong Things:
1. Others (2 Cor. 10:12); Worldly wisdom (Col. 2:8); Opinions of men (Prov. 14:12); etc.
2. Person who examines himself trying to improve himself by repenting of his sins & bearing righteous fruit: Forming Christ within!
1. Jno. 15:4-5 - Without Christ in us, we can do nothing (and all we do is vain).
2. Use these tools that are at our disposal to form Christ within us so that He will be seen through us!