Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Matthew 6:19-25
Be Anxious for Nothing (Part 1)
1. Millions diagnosed with some form of clinical anxiety or depression:
a. “Anxiety Disorders are the most common mental illness in the U.S. with 40 million (18.1%) of the adult U.S. population (age 18 and older) affected.” (Anxiety Disorders Association of America, adaa.org)
b. Over $800 million annually on anti-anxiety pills. (stressless.com)
c. More people visit doctors for anxiety than for colds. (Ibid.)
d. Anxiety disorders cost the U.S. more than $42 billion a year, according to “The Economic Burden of Anxiety Disorders,” a study commissioned by the ADAA (Anxiety Disorders Assoc. of America, jrp) & based on data gathered by the association & published in Journal of Clinical Psychiatry.
2. We are under commandment, Phil. 4:6. There is a spiritual component to anxiety that Christians must not ignore.
I. WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT (What is anxiety?).
A. Medical Definition includes Stress…Panic…Fear…Disorders…Mental Illness.
Anxiety: A feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by physical symptoms such as palpitations, sweating, and feelings of stress. Anxiety disorders are serious medical illnesses that affect approximately 19 million American adults. These disorders fill people's lives with overwhelming anxiety and fear. Unlike the relatively mild, brief anxiety caused by a stressful event such as a business presentation or a first date, anxiety disorders are chronic, relentless, and can grow progressively worse if not treated. (MedicineNet.com)
1. Do not deny there are emotional & physiological conditions that are helped through modern medicine.
2. Treatments include:
a. Medication (over $800 mil. annually; cf. 1 Tim. 5:23).
b. Diet (Matt. 15:17).
c. Exercise (1 Tim. 4:8).
d. Rest (Mk. 6:31).
-Each has its place & its limitations in a balanced life.
3. We are discussing something else: Care, concern or worry that consumes a person & takes over his view of self & approach to life, cf. Matt. 6:25.
4. We must also acknowledge that Satan works on our minds to discourage us & destroy our faith, 2 Cor. 4:3-4 (2:11).
B. Bible Definition: Worldly Care, Mk. 4:19.
1. Not just care & concern, but worry that distracts from serving God (Matt. 6:24-25).
2. Root word is merizo: “to divide, distribute”; hence, distraction, worry, anxious.
3. Illustrate usage: 1 Cor. 7:32-33 (34, and is divided, asv); Lk. 10:41 (merimnao).
C. Anxiety is an Unbalanced View & Approach to Life’s Circumstances, Matt. 6:19-25 (depression, Prov. 12:25; Lk. 21:34, weighed down).
D. Anxiety is a Choice, Matt. 6:24-25; Jno. 14:1, 27.
1. cf. Jesus, Lk. 22:40-44.
2. cf. Apostles, 2 Cor. 4:7-15.
3. We can choose not to be overcome by the evil of anxiety (Rom. 12:21), 2 Cor. 10:5 (we are not enslaved to our thoughts!).
E. The Cause & Effect of Misplaced Focus & Emphasis, Matt. 6:22-25.
II. WHAT ANXIETY DOES.
A. It Isolates You, Lk. 6:26 (Elijah); cf. Jesus, Matt. 4:1; 5:11.
-It looks inward rather than outward & upward (cf. Judas).
B. Some of the Problems with Anxiety:
1. Profitless, Psa. 127:1-2.
2. Paralyzes, cf. Prov. 22:13 (26:13).
3. Phobias (fears), Matt. 25:25.
4. Peace is disrupted (home, relationships), Lk. 10:40.
5. Pinches (chokes) the word of God out of one’s life, Matt. 13:7, 22.
-To be continued...see Part 2.