Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Proverbs 31:25-31
A Mother's Love
1. We honor mothers for their devotion to and love for their children and grandchildren.
2. Mothers cherish their children (1 Thess. 2:7). Children should cherish their mothers, Prov. 19:26-27.
3. Motherhood is learned; it is not instinctive.
a. Learn affection for her children, Titus 2:4.
b. Learn good will and loving treatment, Eph. 5:2.
4. Godly mothers are honored by God, and deserve to be honored by their families, Prov. 31:28-29.
I. GOD-FEARING MOTHERS. (Building a house, Prov. 14:1)
A. Know their Children are Gifts from God, 1 Sam. 1:20; 2:1.
B. Are not Perfect, but their Love Overcomes their Sins and Mistakes, 1 Pet. 4:8.
1. Live by faith, follow God’s word and teach it, 2 Tim. 1:5.
2. Some children hold their mothers to unrealistic demands, then scapegoat them for their own problems and sinful choices.
3. Remember, mothers are learning, just like you, Titus 2:4.
4. Godly mother examines herself and corrects herself because she loves God and her children, 2 Cor. 13:5; 2 Tim. 3:16-17.
5. God-fearing mothers deserve forgiveness and encouragement, just like anyone else.
II. THE LOVE OF A GOD-FEARING MOTHER IS ALWAYS ACTIVE, 1 Cor. 13:4-8. –Wise woman builds her house, Prov. 14:1.
A. God-Fearing Mothers…
1. Are patient (13:4). Longsuffering; Controlled in word and deed.
a. As she teaches and corrects her children, Prov. 1:8-9.
b. Toward her husband, as he learns to be a father, Titus 2:4.
2. Are kind (13:4).
a. Children see her kindness in her treatment of their father.
b. Be fair and just, thoughtful, respectful and courteous, etc.
3. Are not envious (13:4).
a. Of another mother’s children and/or situation, Gen. 30:1.
b. Of the financial advantages of others, Psa. 127:3.
4. Are not boastful (13:4).
a. Don’t “show off” your children (they will show off plenty!).
b. Of yourself as a mother. Be humble, kind, faithful, and others will seek you out for your advice and counsel, Prov. 31:26.
5. Are not arrogant (“puffed up,” 13:4).
-Of course, be proud of your children. But also teach them humility by being humble in your demeanor.
6. Are not rude (not unbecoming, 13:5).
-Conducts herself as a woman professing godliness, 1 Tim. 2:10.
7. Are not selfish (seek its own, 13:5).
a. Does not insist on her own way (submissive wife and Christian), Eph. 5:22-24; 1 Pet. 3:1-2.
b. She is teaching her children what she is living (dad’s, too).
8. Are not irritable (provoked, 13:5).
a. A mother’s self-control is challenged by children, whether 5-years-old or 15-years-old or 25-years-old…
b. Godly mothers bear the fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:23).
9. Are not resentful (13:5). (not selfish or judgmental of others)
a. She doesn’t keep score, but shows mercy and forgiveness.
b. Teaches her children to think of others before themselves.
10. Do not approve of sin (13:6).
a. She respects God’s law; She has no delight in lawlessness.
b. She respects her husband’s rule; She does not rejoice in seizing a role in the home God has not given her.
11. Rejoice with the truth (13:6).
a. She rejoices when her children walk in truth, cf. 3 Jno. 4.
b. She rejoices when they succeed, and she holds them up when they falter.
c. She is guided by the truth of God, not truth as defined by her children. She does not compromise truth for her children.
12. Patiently continue to always love their children (13:7-8).
a. Bears all things (endures burdens of her family), Gal. 6:2.
b. Believes all things (trusts in God and her family’s love), Prov. 23:22. Her family is a source of great joy to her heart.
c. Hopes all things (expects the best for/from her children).
d. Endures all things (withstands the long nights, the uncertainties, the doubts, the disappointments, etc.)
1. Mothers are a gift from God. God urges mothers to embrace your God-given place of honor and responsibility, and love your children as a God-fearing woman.
2. Children: Honor your mother every day. Don’t take her for granted, but show her your love, care and gratitude for her love.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: May 9, 2018