Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Revelation 21:1-5
"I Make All Things New"
1. New Year (2021) is new with respect to age (cf. new baby, job…).
2. “New” in New Testament (Greek):
a. neos: “Youthful…young” (G3501); New with respect to age.
b. kainos: “Freshness” (G2537); New with respect to quality; New in form (recent, unworn). New in substance (of a new kind, unprecedented) (Thayer, 317).
3. God makes all things new (kainos) in Christ: Unprecedented, of a new kind, superior to what preceded (came before).
a. He has brought new things into existence, 2 Cor. 5:17.
b. All things are new due to His workmanship, Rev. 21:5.
4. Let us “behold” the new things God has made in Christ.
I. A NEW COVENANT, Matt. 26:28.
A. A Better Covenant, Heb. 8:6-13.
1. Old covenant was holy, just, and good (Rom. 7:12).
a. But it could never make worshipers “perfect,” Heb. 10:1.
b. A new (better: more fit, capable) covenant was needed.
2. New covenant dedicated (put into force) with the blood of Christ, Heb. 9:16-20.
3. New covenant redeems sinners, Heb. 9:13-15; 10:1-4 (11-12).
4. New covenant forgives sins, Heb. 8:12; Jer. 31:34.
5. New covenant gives life, 2 Cor. 3:6.
II. A NEW CREATURE, 2 Cor. 5:17 (NASB).
A. We are a New Creation (creatures) in Christ (a new person).
1. When sinner is baptized into Christ he dies to sin and is raised to newness of life, Rom. 6:3-4 (Gal. 3:27).
2. Freed from sin, Rom. 6:5-7. Deliberately put off the old person of sin and put on the new person, Eph. 4:20-24.
3. Sin no longer rules over us (our master); No longer continue committing sin, Rom. 6:2. Alive to God in Christ, Rom. 6:11-12.
III. A NEW COMMANDMENT, Jno. 13:34-35.
A. Love Each Other “As I Have Love You.”
1. Self-sacrificial love, Eph. 5:2.
2. New (fresh) in quality:
a. Old covenant: Love your neighbor as yourself, Lev. 19:18.
b. But the love of Jesus “did not please himself.” Instead, He bore the reproaches of sinners so we might be saved, Rom. 15:3.
c. Thus, Christians are to please our neighbors for their good and spiritual strengthening (before ourselves), Rom. 15:2.
d. Acting in the best interests of others is the love of Christ.
3. Love one another by walking in the truth, 2 Jno. 4-6.
4. By this others will know we are Christ’s disciples, Jno. 13:35.
5. We love because He first loved us, 1 Jno. 4:19, 11.
1. New heavens and a new earth: Fresh, unworn, unprecedented, heavenly habitation is what we long for, 2 Pet. 3:13-14.
2. Under a new covenant we become new creatures who keep a new commandment so that we may enter the new Jerusalem, there to dwell eternally with God and the redeemed of the ages, Rev. 21:1-5.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted December 30, 2020