(1 Cor. 3:18-23)
1. Its that time again - New Years resolutions.
2. In hope, Christians wait for Jesus - Phil. 3:20-21; Col. 3:4.
3. 1 Cor. 1:18-23 - All things are created & sustained for the benefit of Christians.
4. The Christian blessed w/ every spiritual blessing - Eph. 1:3.
I. THE WORD OF GOD IS OURS - 3:18-20.
A. Divine Revelation "Belongs" To The Humble - cf. 1:18-31.
1. Utter incompatibility between human wisdom (philosophy) & divine revelation (truth)!
2. Those who rely upon human wisdom are deceived! (v. 18-19)
3. Divine wisdom is ours in Christ (Col. 2:3).
B. We Judge All Things On The Basis Of Gods Word, Not Human Wisdom - Phil. 1:9-11.
1. Jno. 17:17 - Gods word is the standard we apply - World scoffs!
2. 2 Tim. 3:16-17 - In 1999, remain committed to inspired scripture!
II. ALL THINGS ARE YOURS - 3:21-22; cf. Rom. 8:28 .
-(Not in the sense of ownership, but that all things exist & subsist for the usefulness of the saint).
-Only the Christian can properly use the things of the world -- the non-Christian generally lets the world use him, or is possessed by the world (Matt. 16:26; 1 Jno. 2:15).
A. Preachers & Teachers - 3:22. cf. 1 Tim. 4:4, 11, 16; 2 Cor. 12:14-16. What will you teach & expect to be preached in 99?
B. The World - Lk. 16:8-10 (Matt. 6:19-21). Where will your treasures be in 99?
C. Life & Death - Phil. 1:19-24.
1. A life of faith, exalting God - Gal. 2:20. How will you live in 99?
2. A death of hope: the door to heaven - Phil. 1:21, 23. Are you ready to die in 99?
D. Things Present & Things To Come - cf. Phil. 4:11-13.
1. Lifes present challenges & future uncertainties are our opportunities to trust in God! - Jas. 4:15.
2. Phil. 1:12-18 - See the benefits of both trials and joys!
a. Present things: Fellowship w/ God; brotherhood; families; govt; etc.
b. Future things: Glory; crown of life; rest; joy; heaven (Phil. 3:20-21).
3. How will you face the present & the future in 1999?
III. EVERYTHING SERVES THE CHRISTIAN BECAUSE OF HIS RELATIONSHIP TO CHRIST - 3:23.
A. If You Belong To Christ: (Gal. 3:26-29)
1. Sons of God through faith - v. 26.
2. Put on Christ - v. 27.
3. One (united) in Christ - v. 28.
4. Abrahams seed - v. 29.
5. Heirs of Gods promise of blessings - v. 29.
B. It Is Precisely Because We Are Christs That All Things Are Ours! - Eph. 1:3 -Will you belong to Christ in 1999?
C. Christ Is Gods - 3:23.
1. Brings this train of thought to its ultimate conclusion.
2. He voluntarily subordinated Himself to God for our redemption - Phil. 2:5-8; Jno. 6:38.
3. When you belong to Christ, you belong to God - Jno. 14:23.
4. Will you belong to God in 1999?
1. The world has been created for man, not man for the world.
2. The Christian has the proper perspective of the world & all things.
3. In 1999, rely upon the word of God, live in gratitude for His blessings, and rest upon your hope of eternity.