THEY CONTINUED STEADFASTLY
1. We rightly note that becoming a Christian is a new beginning - Jno. 3:5; Gal. 3:26-27; 2 Cor. 5:17; Rom. 6:1-4.
2. How do we walk in newness of life?
a. By growing in Christ - Col. 2:6-7.
b. By setting our minds on heavenly things - Col. 3:1-3.
c. By putting away every sin because it is not like Christ - Col. 3:5-10.
d. By carefully being more like Christ in heart & life - Col. 3:12-17.
3. Acts 2:42-47 - Example of what new Christians did to be faithful & strong in Christ.
I. NEW CHRISTIANS CONTINUED STEADFASTLY IN THEIR FAITH - Acts
A. Continued: Christianity Is A Continued Way Of Life - Col. 2:6.
1. They were not sporadic in worship, morality, influences for good, defense & teaching of the gospel, etc.
2. To do this they had to change their past way of thinking & living - Acts 6:7; 19:18-19.
3. Rom. 6:1-2 - Cannot continue to sin - A new Christian is careful to live for Christ at all times -- Every Christian must have this commitment! - Rom. 6:11-13
B. Steadfastly: Christians Are Constantly Ready In Heart And Attentive In Life To Christ And His Will - (disciple is an adherent, Lk. 6:46) Col. 2:6-7.
1. Willing heart - 2 Cor. 8:12.
2. Attentive life - Eph. 5:15.
3. Avoids falling away - cf. Matt. 13:20-21.
4. Faithful & wise - blessed - Matt. 24:45-46.
II. NEW CHRISTIANS CONTINUE STEADFASTLY IN:
A. The Apostles' Doctrine (Teaching).
1. Matt. 28:20 - Much more learning needed by the new Christian.
2. These young disciples acquainted themselves with "the faith" - Acts 5:12; cf. Acts 20:20, 25, 27-28.
3. Apostles' doctrine: Inspired gospel - Jno. 16:13; 1 Jno. 1:1-4.
4. You need to be in teaching/learning situations: Bible class, in worship services, privately read the Bible, meditate on it - to live it!
B. Fellowship ("participation in common," sharing, communion).
1. A number of objects of fellowship for the Christian:
a. We have fellowship w/ the Father & Son through the apostles' teaching - 1 Jno. 1:3-4 (1 Cor. 1:9; 1 Jno. 3:24).
b. We have fellowship w/ the Spirit - 2 Cor. 13:14. (We are under the influence of the word He has given us.)
c. We have fellowship w/ one another in the gospel - Gal. 2:9.
d. The Lord's Supper is viewed as fellowship - 1 Cor. 10:16.
e. Contribution of goods to relieve needy saints is fellowship - Rom. 15:26 (2 Cor. 8:4); cf. Acts 2:44-45.
2. Important for new Christians to participate with fellow Christians in spiritual service to God! (worship, LS, giving, singing, praying - Heb. 10:25) - cf. Acts 1:14
C. In The Breaking Of Bread (Lord's Supper).
1. Context: Spiritual & physical breaking of bread - 2:42, 46; 20:7.
2. LS: Memorial of the death of Christ for our sins - 1 Cor. 11:23-26.
3. Each Christian must be remembering the death of Christ as he/she partakes - 1 Cor. 11:27-29.
D. In Prayers.
1. Public prayer - Acts 4:24, 31.
2. Private prayer - Acts 12:5.
3. Blessing of peace, assurance & confidence in God through prayer - Phil. 4:6-7.
1. Becoming a Christian is the single most important decision you will ever make in your life.
2. Being a faithful Christian is the life you have chosen.
3. Now, live worthy of the gospel - Eph. 2:10; 4:1; Phil. 1:27.