Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: John 10:7-16
Abundant Life in Christ
1. The gospel call brings with it deprivation and denial, Lk. 9:23; Heb. 10:32-33; 11:35-40; 1 Pet. 4:14-16; 2 Tim. 3:12. YET...
2. Jesus came to give abundant life (“exceeding, over and above, supremely”), John 10:10. What is the harmony?
I. WHAT IS THE ABUNDANT LIFE?
-Some say: “Wealth and health gospel” Prosperity theology (Lk. 9:57-58)
-Some apply “abundant life” to a Christian’s mental health (self-esteem, serenity, the ability to cope with life’s problems).
A. Abundant Life in John 10:10 is the Fullness of Eternal Life and its Rich Blessings:
1. In Him was life, Jno. 1:4.
2. Living water—Eternal life, Jno. 4:10, 13-14.
3. Gives eternal life, Jno. 5:24-26 (40).
4. Context is eternal life, Jno. 10:26-28.
5. The life that has been manifested is eternal life through fellowship with God, 1 Jno. 1:1-4; 8:12.
B. The Christian’s Abundant Life is Spiritual in Nature: Life in the Son, 1 Jno. 5:11-13.
1. Salvation: the forgiveness of past sins, Lk. 19:10; Col. 2:13.
2. The end: Eternal life, Lk. 18:28-30; Rom. 6:22; 1 Pet. 1:8-9.
3. While Christians have “life in the Son” now (through faith), there remains an eternal reward of life that exceeds, is over and above what we now enjoy (Jno. 10:10), 1 Tim. 4:8-9.
4. Abundant life is a present reality and a future reward.
II. THE LIFE THAT NOW IS AND THAT WHICH IS TO COME, 1 Tim. 4:8.
A. The Life that now is Contains Showers of Blessings, Eph. 1:3; Ezek. 34:23-31.
-We have a Shepherd and King: Covenant of peace, safety, freedom, sustenance, and fellowship with God.
1. Gospel that saves, Rom. 1:16-17; Acts 3:19.
2. Peace of knowing you are right with God, Phil. 4:7.
3. Ways of escape from temptations, 1 Cor. 10:13.
4. Encouragement to help endure present trials, 2 Cor. 1:5-7.
5. Prayer to petition God and obtain mercy, Heb. 4:16.
6. The church (brethren) to consider and stir up, Heb. 10:24.
B. The Life that is to Come: Eternal Life.
1. Promised, 1 Jno. 2:25.
2. Crown of life, Rev. 2:10 (imperishable, 1 Cor. 9:25).
3. Guarded through faith to receive the inheritance that is reserved in heaven for you, 1 Pet. 1:3-5.
4. Seize eternal life, 1 Tim. 6:12, 19.
a. Fight the good fight of faith, 6:12.
b. Right use of material goods – treasures in heaven, 6:19.
1. Abundant life:
a. Not the wealth and health gospel of this material, self-absorbed age [Creflo Dollar (World Changers Church, Int'l.), Robert Tilton, Joel Osteen…
b. Not derived from the self-help books of “positive mental attitude” and pop psychology being preached by brethren as if it were the gospel (“feel good” about yourself religion).
2. It is spiritual life from sin and the eternal life reserved for the faithful, Jno. 10:27-28.
3. Come to Jesus, be saved from your sins, and receive abundant life, Matt. 11:28-30.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: December 13, 2013