THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH OF GOD
1. The value of wisdom & knowledge praised in Proverbs 2:1-9.
2. But, "Fools hate knowledge" (Prov. 1:22).
3. "Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is." (Eph. 5:17)
I. THE TRUTH OF GOD ABSOLUTELY EXISTS.
A. It Is Absolutely Inspired Of God - Jno. 17:17 (1:1-3, 14; 14:6; 2 Tim. 3:16-17).
B. It Is Absolutely Revealed By God - Eph. 3:3-5; Jude 3.
C. It Is Absolutely Understandable By Man - Deut. 30:11-15 (Rom. 10:6-8); Eph. 5:17; Jno. 8:31-32.
D. It Can & Must Be Absolutely Obeyed - 1 Pet. 1:22-23; Phil. 2:12; Matt. 7:21.
II. ABSOLUTE TRUTH & THOSE WHO CONTEND FOR IT ARE OFTEN
CRITICIZED, Jno. 15:18-21; Jude 3; 1 Cor. 4:12-13 (Lk. 6:26-28).
A. As Intolerant - cf. Gal. 1:8-10.
1. "You say we cannot disagree on any point of doctrine. You affirm this throughout this very website study. You and those you associate with call others "false teachers" if they disagree with you on points of doctrine (though you seem to arbitrarily pick and choose which points of doctrine). Your words and your actions imply that you believe anyone who disagrees with your positions to be wrong and you equate being wrong with being in sin." (This is correspondence I received from a Christian.)
B. As Arrogant - cf. 2 Cor. 10:1; Gal. 6:14.
1. "It is not the claim that we can understand God's word that I have in the past characterized as arrogant. Rather, what is arrogant is the attitude that implies that my understanding is always correct and that everyone who disagrees with me must be wrong. When I leave absolutely no room for disagreement, and call everyone a false teacher who disagrees with me, then I am arrogant." (Ibid.)
-(Nobody I know has ever said "my understanding is always correct." This is a "straw man." What I say is that God's word is always correct, and we can know and stand in His word of truth, Jno. 8:31-32; 17:17.)
2. "Of course it is not arrogant to claim we can understand the scriptures, or even to claim that we can understand them alike. I affirm both confidently. It is not the affirming of this that I consider arrogant. What is arrogant is the calling of anyone who disagrees with me a "false teacher" and "enemy of the cross" simply because they disagree with me on one issue. What is arrogant is the fact there is no room for disagreement among reasonable, honest men. What is arrogant is your refusal to fellowship anyone who disagrees with you on any matter of faith." (Ibid.)
C. As Self-righteous - Eph. 3:3-4.
1. "Joe, my impression of _____ at the meeting in _______ was that he was one of the most arrogant men I have ever met. The way he treated people, the way he went down the list of issues that ____ had outlined and told us what he believed on each and every issue (thus missing the whole point while setting himself up as one man to tell us what the truth is on each issue), the way he made his presentation. I've seen this kind of self-righteous, "I-have-all-the-truth", attitude in a few other preachers as well. You didn't come across this way. You came across as very humble. But your position on fellowship and grace boils down to the same thing. It is a doctrinal arrogance that leaves absolutely no room for disagreement." (Ibid.)
2. "I would not want to be in your shoes on judgment day, even if you do understand MDR perfectly. I am much less concerned about your mistaken notions of MDR than I am about your self-righteous, legalistic system of works." (Ibid.)
D. As Judgmental - cf. Matt. 23; Lk. 12:54-57.
-"I assume you believe that since we have not come to an agreement on your arbitrarily chosen issues (e.g. MDR), then it is we (and not you) who have failed to give all diligence. Have you become the judge of men's hearts?" (Ibid.)
E. As Evil - Gal. 4:16.
1. " your notions on fellowship and salvation is (sic) separating brethren for sure - and more than just a few. And all in the name of "unity". You have "put God to the test by placing on the yoke of the disciples a burden which we have been able to bear" (Acts 15.10). That indeed is a sin. I hope you will repent of it and work to restore the brethren you have worked to separate." (Ibid.)
1. Rom. 3:4 - "Indeed, let God be true but every man a liar. As it is written: "That You may be justified in Your words, And may overcome when You are judged."
2. Eph. 5:17 - "Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is."