ABRAHAM: FATHER OF A MULTITUDE
1. Abraham stands out as a landmark in the spiritual history of the world - Acts 7:2-4; Gen. 12:1-4. (Life details in Gen. 12-25.)
2. God changed his name Abram ("exalted father") to Abraham ("father of a multitude") - Gen. 17:1-6.
a. God called Abraham His "friend" - Isa. 41:8 (Jas. 2:23).
b. God called Abraham the "father of the faithful" - Rom. 4:11, 16.
c. Christians are "sons of Abraham" - Gal. 3:7, 29.
3. Jno. 8:39 - Jesus said Abraham's children do the works of Abraham.
4. The faith of Abraham shines as a beacon to all would be saved by faith. His life teaches us many things about faith (2 Cor. 5:7).
I. ABRAHAM: THE GROWTH OF FAITH.
A. Fearing Men: Abraham Told Half-truths - Gen. 20:13.
1. Gen. 12:10-20 - Sarai in Egypt. (v. 12-13 - He was afraid of men but treated well as a result.)
2. Gen. 20 - Abimelech, king of Gerar (v. 10-12).
3. Matt. 10:28; Mk. 8:38 - Fear man/ashamed of God - Little faith!
4. Eph. 4:25 - Tell the whole truth - not half-truths out of shame or fear!
B. Out-thinking God: Hagar & Ishmael - Gen. 15:1-4; 16:1-4.
1. Faith learns to be patient before God - trust His ways - Isa. 40:27-31.
2. Remain true to (be content with) God's revealed plan, the gospel - Gal. 1:6-9.
C. Praying To God: Intercession For The Righteous - Gen. 18:23-33.
1. Faith thinks of / prays for others - 1 Tim. 2:1-2; Jas. 5:16.
2. Trusts that God is righteous (just, faithful) - 1 Jno. 5:14-15.
D. Fearing God: Offering Isaac - Gen. 22:1-14 (Heb. 11:17-19).
1. Faith to sacrifice self-interest, self-reasoning, self-doubts!
2. Faith to say: "The Lord will provide" (Gen. 22:14; Phil. 4:13).
II. ABRAHAM: THE CHARACTER OF FAITH.
A. His Faith Was Obedient - Heb. 11:8 (Gen. 26:5); Jas. 2:21-22.
-Our faith: Jno. 12:42-43; Lk. 6:46; Heb. 5:8-9.
B. His Faith Became Courageous.
1. Courage to fight to rescue Lot - Gen. 14:12-17.
-Will we rescue a brother from spiritual danger? - Jas. 5:19-20
2. Courage to be different (circumcision) - Gen. 17:9-11, 23.
-Will we be different from the world? - 2 Cor. 6:17-7:1
C. His Faith Was Humble - Gen. 14:18-20.
1. Worshiped God (offering) following his victory.
2. Lk. 17:10 - The victories of faith which come our way do not glorify us - the glory is God's!
D. His Faith Was Unwavering - Rom. 4:17-25.
1. Through his hope (v. 18) & confidence in God (v. 20-21), his faith was counted as righteousness (Isaac was born!).
2. 4:24-25 - Written for us! Put our unwavering faith in Jesus!
3. Heb. 6:10-12 - We must live with a diligent hope - Not sluggish - Enduring faith!
III. ABRAHAM: THE RESULT & REWARD OF FAITH.
A. His Faith Was Counted For Righteousness - Gen. 15:6; Rom. 4:1-3.
-Jas. 2:20-24 - Our faith must rise above the mediocrity of words to the maturity of active, obedient trust in God!
B. God's Assurance Of Eternal Blessing - Gen. 22:15-18.
1. God Swore (By Himself) That He Would Bless Abraham - Heb. 6:13-15.
2. Heb. 6:16-20 - Our anchor (like Abraham's) is God's sure word & constant character!
1. Jno. 8:56 - Abraham "saw" the day of the Savior & rejoiced!
2. Will your faith allow you to "see" His salvation?