ABEL: HE BEING DEAD STILL SPEAKS
1. Abel stands in sharp contrast to his brother Cain. Abel continues to speak to us - Heb. 11:4; 12:24.
2. We can deduce that Abel was a dutiful son, a loving brother & a successful shepherd who met an untimely death - Gen. 4:2 (Abel - "breath, vapor", vanity).
3. But it is his faith in God & the price he paid for it which captures our attention & generates our admiration as it calls upon us to pattern our own faith after his (Heb. 11:6).
4. Abel was the first:
a. Human to die.
b. Person on the earth to be murdered.
c. Man to be associated with Christ.
d. Believer (we know of) to present an offering acceptable to God.
I. FAITHFUL ABEL - Heb. 11:4.
A. He Worshiped In Faith - Gen. 4:3-4.
1. Whether we approach God in worship matters! - Jno. 4:23 (Heb. 10:25).
2. How we approach God in worship matters! - cf. Lev. 10:1-2; Matt. 7:21; Jno. 4:23-24 (cf. Psa. 51:15-17).
B. He Obeyed God In Faith - Heb. 11:4; Rom. 10:17.
-So must we - Lk. 6:46; Jno. 14:15; Heb. 5:9.
C. He Endured In Faith - Gen. 4:8.
1. Cain may have tried to influence Abel to compromise his faith.
2. He remained faithful ..so must we! Do not succumb to the influence of evil / error - 1 Cor. 15:33; Eph. 5:6-7, 11.
II. RIGHTEOUS ABEL - Matt. 23:34-35 (Heb. 11:4; 1 Jno. 3:12)
A. His Faith & Works (Of Faith) Bore Witness To His Righteousness - Heb. 11:4; 1 Jno. 3:12.
1. The gospel teaches us how to be righteous - Rom. 1:16-17; 3:21-22.
2. Our obedient faith justifies us before God - Jas. 2:14-26 (Rom. 8:33).
B. God Bore Witness To His Righteousness - Heb. 11:4.
1. God accepted His offering - Gen. 4:4.
2. cf. Rom. 4:3-5 - Our righteousness, like Abels, cannot be "sinless perfection" but must be obedient to the word of God - cf. Heb. 11:6.
III. PERSECUTED ABEL.
A. Abel Suffered Because Of His Righteousness - Gen. 4:8.
1. God saw it & executed His vengeance - Gen. 4:10.
2. He sees & will avenge the suffering of His saints - Rev. 6:9-11; Matt. 5:10-12; Rom. 12:17-21.
B. The Blood Of Christ Is Better Than The Blood Of Abel - Heb. 12:24.
1. Abels blood was violently taken; Christs was willingly offered.
2. Abels blood cried for vengeance; Christs pleads for mercy.
3. Abels blood did not cleanse his sin; Christs blood purifies the soul - Heb. 9:14-15. Application: Rom. 6:3; Acts 22:16!
1. Abel will continue to speak to the world of the cost & the consolation of faith!
2. Like Abel, let us be faithful, righteous & willing to suffer for godliness.