Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 1 John 5:10-13
"I Believe in Jesus Christ"
1. Must believe & obey the gospel to be saved, Mk. 16:15-16. (God’s testimony of His Son, 1 Jno. 5:10-11)
2. A lack of faith prevents one obedience & salvation, Acts 8:36-37. (“with all your heart”)
3. What is it the sinner confesses when he confesses faith in Jesus? (Just that he existed, that he lived? NO; much more!)
4. What is it I must believe about Jesus to be saved?
I. I MUST BELIEVE THAT JESUS IS THE CHRIST, Acts 17:2-3.
A. He is the Promised Savior, Lk. 2:11; Acts 8:32-35 (3:26).
B. He is the Promised Prophet, Jno. 1:21; Acts 3:22-23.
C. He is the Promised King, Jno. 18:37-38 (good confession, 1 Tim. 6:13).
II. I MUST BELIEVE THAT JESUS IS THE SON OF GOD, Gal. 4:4.
A. His Divine Nature: Jesus is Fully God and Fully Human, Col. 2:9.
1. Jesus is from above, Jno. 8:23-25, 53.
2. Jesus is “I AM”, Jno. 8:58 (1:1-3, 14).
B. That Jesus is One with the Father, Jno. 10:30-38.
1. Equal with God, 10:30, 33; 5:17-18. (“son of” – same, like)
2. He is in full agreement with the Father, 10:37-38.
3. Must believe the Father sent Jesus, Jno. 5:24.
4. Jesus reveals the Father to the world, Jno. 1:18.
C. That He is God, Phil. 2:5-11 (every tongue should confess this).
III. I MUST BELIEVE IN THE VIRGIN BIRTH OF JESUS.
A. Miraculous Entrance of the Son of God into the World, Lk. 1:30-35.
1. I cannot believe Jesus is the Son of God unless I believe in His virgin birth! “…that Holy One…the Son of God” (1:35)
2. Virgin birth widely denied as necessary fact & faith:
a. Illus. Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Rowan Williams: “He said he was committed to belief in the Virgin Birth ‘as part of what I have inherited.’ But belief in the Virgin Birth should not be a ‘hurdle’ over which new Christians had to jump before they were accepted.” (“Archbishop of Canterbury Dismisses Nativity Scene as Nothing but ‘Legend’”, FoxNews.com, 20Dec07).
b. Viewed as myth, legend & dismissed by those who reject all miraculous acts recorded in the Bible.
3. It is belief in the power of God & in the fulfillment of prophecy, Isa. 7:14; Matt. 1:23.
4. Denial of virgin birth makes Jesus only human! Gal. 4:4
5. If your view of Jesus is only mortal & not also deity, then you are still lost in your sins!
IV. I MUST BELIEVE IN THE DEATH, BURIAL AND RESURRECTION OF JESUS, 1 Cor. 15:1-4.
A. That Jesus Died for My Sins, Isa. 53:4-6 (Acts 8:32-33); 1 Pet. 2:24.
B. That He was Buried & Arose from the Dead, Rom. 1:4; 10:9-10.
C. Without this Faith, We will not have Eternal Life, Jno. 11:25-27.
V. I MUST BELIEVE JESUS IS THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN SAVE ME, Acts 4:12 (Jno. 14:6).
A. Only Jesus can Save Me, Jno. 6:68.
1. Not the false gods of men.
2. Not the false Christs of men.
3. Not the futile philosophies of men (1 Cor. 1:21).
4. Not myself (Jer. 10:23).
5. Not you (my friends, my family).
B. Belief in the Authority (Power, Name) of Jesus to Save, 1 Jno. 5:13 (Matt. 28:18-19).
1. The written word brings sinners to faith, to salvation from past sins & to eternal life in the Son, Jno. 20:30-31.
2. What do you believe about Jesus? You must believe in & obey the Son in order to be saved from your sins & have eternal life. 1 Jno. 5:11-12