REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!
1 Corinthians 3
1. The appeal of human philosophy & worldly wisdom in Corinth had infiltrated the
church & promoted contentions among saints (1:10-13).
2. In l Cor. 3, Paul deals with the Grecian social tendency of rally around great
philosophers - This was occurring in the church toward preachers.
3. Reminds the brethren who they are & what they should be doing.
- WE ARE GOD'S CHILDREN, GOD'S FAMILY -- 3:1-4
- We all begin as babes in Christ - 1 Cor. 4:15; Jno. 3:3
- Born into God's family - Gal. 3:26-27
- New experiences & relationships - 2 Cor. 5:17
- But, babes in Christ must not remain immature - 3:1-4
- How Paul had taught them reflected their condition - 3:1:
- Not as the natural man of 2:14 (who rejects revelation) - They accepted revelation.
- Not as the spiritual man of 2:15 (who, because he accepts revelation, has spiritual
discernment) - They were not using spiritual discernment!
- 3:1 - As carnal (SARKINOS) - "Unspiritual", "consisting of flesh,
- Paul had "wisdom" for the "mature" (2:6) - But he had to teach
them milk due to their carnal disposition.
- Not experienced in the word - Heb. 5:12-14
- Children are not grounded in doctrine - in danger! (Eph. 4:14)
- Still were not ready for solid food due to allowing the flesh to control their
spirit! - 3:2c-4
- 3:3 - Carnal (SARKIKOS) - "Anti-spiritual". (Rom. 8:5-8)
- 3:3-4 - Seen in their jealousy & strife!
- They were too attached to one "parent" - Forgot they all belong to God! -
3:4 (Family shouldn't be jealous of each other!)
- PREACHERS ARE SERVANTS & WORKERS IN GOD'S FIELD - 3:5-9
- Not to be to be exalted: Who worships a servant?! - 3:5-7
- Not saviors - 1:13; Not authorities over us that we should be named from them -
- Ministers - Not lords! - 3:5
- Each preacher has different abilities (God-given) - 3:5
- Some, gospel meetings; others, private studies; others, establish new
congregations; others, edification/encouragement; etc.
- Use gift given you, with thanksgiving - 3:6-7 (not with envy
- United in purpose - 3:8-9.
- Illus. - War between planter of a garden & the one who waters the same
- Results are in God's hands - 3:8 (3:6)
- Worker is rewarded on basis of his labor, not on the results!
- God's fellow-workers! - 3:9a
- WE ARE GOD'S BUILDING, GOD'S TEMPLE -- 3:9-17
- The church belongs to God, not man - 3:9-11
- We help establish & strengthen a church - 3:10
- Christ must remain the foundation - 3:11 (His church, Matt. 16:18)
- A strong building (church) must have:
- Solid foundation - Christ (3:11)
- Skilled, experienced architect (cf. Paul, 3:10)
- Capable, concerned, cooperative co-workers - 3:9, 10-15
- Solid materials - 3:12 (Those converted - cf. Acts 2:41-42). Why?
- 3:13 - Work tested in day of testing (trial)
- 3:14 - When Christians are strong (abide), reward of joy & glory for the
builder, too! - 1 Ths. 2:19-20; Phil. 4:1
- 3:15 - When some are unfaithful, a loss (cf. Gal. 4:11)
- 3:15 - Builder saved if he endures - 3:8, Acts 20:26-27
- We (the local church) are the temple of God - 3:16-17
- Church is holy (cf. Psa. 74:3-8; 79:1 - Those who defile God's temple are His
- Be careful how you build! - 3:10 (Acts 7:44; Heb. 8:5)
- Warning: Those who damage the church (division, false teaching, immorality, etc.)
will be destroyed! - cf. Rev. 2:20-23
- ALL THINGS ARE AVAILABLE FOR THE CHRISTIANS' USE - 3:18-23.
- Human wisdom is brought to nothing by God - 3:18-21a.
- Human wisdom fails to build God's house!
- So, do not boast in your relation to a man 3:21 (1:12).
- All things exist for our usefulness because we belong to Christ - 3:21b-23.
(Preachers, world, life & death) - Rom. 8:28
- We must live mature lives by remembering who we are!
- Children of God (brethren)
- Fellow-workers, God's field.
- God's house / temple (builders, priests)
- Heirs of all things
- Develop spiritual maturity & live in God's blessings