Adam really lived according to: Jesus (Matthew 19:4-5); Paul (Romans 5:14); Jude (Jude 14)
Text: Genesis 1:26-5:5
Name: "red, ruddy," hence, earth; man, mankind
Date: Beginning of the creation
Place: Garden of Eden
Key: The first man
Genesis 1:26-27; 2:7
· Flesh: Dust of the ground - Eccl. 12:7
· Spirit: Image of God - Gen. 1:27; cf. Jno. 4:24
ADAM WAS THE FIRST
· First human being - Gen. 2:7; 1 Tim. 2:13
· First place over God's creation - Gen. 1:28
· First to have fellowship with God - Gen. 2:15; 3:8
· First laborer - Gen. 2:15; 3:17-19
· First marriage - Gen. 2:18-24; Matt. 19:4-6
· First to have moral choice - Gen. 2:16-17
· First to sin * - Gen. 3:1-7; Rom. 5:12
ADAM, SIN AND DEATH
Genesis 2:16-17; 3:1-19
· Sin's source: Temptation - cf. 1 Tim. 2:14
· Sin's form: Unbelief and disobedience - cf. 1 Jno. 3:4
· Sin's effect: Death, shame and guilt - Gen. 2:17; 3:8-10
· Sin's entrance into the world - Romans 5:12
· Redemption - Genesis 3:15
ADAM: A TYPE OF CHRIST
· The Spirit of Man: Adam and Christ in Romans 5:14-19
· The Flesh of Man: Adam and Christ in 1 Corinthians 15:21-22, 45-49
ADAM AND THE HEADSHIP OF MAN
1 Timothy 2:12-14
· Adam honored woman (Gen. 2:23)
· The headship of man over woman (1 Cor. 11:3)
· Why this order exists (1 Tim. 2:12-14)
LESSONS FOR US
· God wants and expects us to make right choices when tempted to sin.
· Our responsibility to God mirrors the privileges received from Him.
· Fellowship with God is precious: Do not take it for granted.
· Marriage is special: Do not defile, discard or disrespect it.
· We cannot hide from God.
· Accept responsibility for our own sin, and repent of it.
· Faithful living must follow a good beginning.
1. What does it mean to say that Adam was a dual being? How was Adam "in the image of God"? (Gen. 1:26-27)
2. Name as many blessings as you can with which God blessed Adam in Genesis 2:8-25. What was Adam's responsibility to each one?
3. What is the wife's relationship to her husband? What traits of marriage are implied in Genesis 2:24?
4. Was Adam deceived when he sinned? What were the consequences of Adam's sin?
5. Why did Adam and his wife make coverings for themselves in Genesis 3:7?
6. What was Adam forbidden to do after he sinned? Why?
7. Who were the sons of Adam? How long did Adam live?
8. What is a "type"? How is Adam typical of Christ?