"But Ruth said: "Entreat me not to leave you, Or to turn back from following after you; For wherever you go, I will go; And wherever you lodge, I will lodge; Your people shall be my people, And your God, my God." (Ruth 1:16)
|Text: The book of Ruth|
|Time: Period of Judges|
|Place: Moab, Bethlehem|
|Occupation: Wife, widow, gleaner|
|References: Matthew 1:5|
· A Moabitess (1:4)
· Wife and widow of Mahlon, son of Naomi (1:4-5; 4:10)
· Great love for Naomi (1:8-18)
· A convert to the Hebrew faith (1:16-17)
· A young widow
· A faithful daughter-in-law
· A determined convert
· A humble gleaner
· A virtuous wife
· An honored mother
· Death of a family
· Ruth cares for Naomi
· Boaz cares for Ruth
· Birth of a family
· Ancestor of David and Christ (4:17-22; Matt. 1:5)
· Ruth's decision to remain with Naomi (1:1-18)
· Ruth's devotion to care for Naomi (1:19-2:23)
· Ruth's request for redemption by Boaz (3:1-18)
· Ruth's reward of redemption by Boaz (4:1-22)
· Love, fidelity and piety (1:16)
· Industry (2:6-7, 23)
· Family respect and kindness (3:5)
· A spotless name (3:11)
LESSONS FROM RUTH
· The value and reward of unselfishness, faithfulness and love.
· God takes care of those who put their trust in Him.
· Loyalty to what is right is rewarded.
· God accepts every person who honors Him.
1. Name the members of the Israelite family that moved to Moab. Why did they go there? How long did they stay there?
2. Who married Mahlon? Who married Chilion? (1:4; 4:10)
3. Why did Naomi refer to "sons in my womb" for marriage in 1:11? (cf. Deut. 25:5-10)
4. Discuss the implications and results of Ruth's choice. (1:8-18)
5. Why did Naomi say to call her "Mara?" (1:19-21)
6. Who was Boaz? (2:1)
7. What right did Ruth have to glean after the reapers? (2:2; Lev. 19:9-10)
8. What advantages did Boaz give to Ruth? (2:7-23)
9. How did Naomi set out to secure Ruth's long-term security? (3:1-7)
10. Was Boaz willing to redeem Ruth? How did he assure her? (3:8-18)
11. What was Ruth's relation to King David?